Windows does not update to 2H22

kittensinurface

Reaction score
Windows 11 2H21 does not update to 2H22. All other updates, including manual updates successful, no other errors or problems in system. I have seen this on 5 computers.

RogerOver

Reaction score
The update will not come, if you do not fulfill the famous conditions with your PC/laptop. In this case Microsoft is blocking it.

I just did the update manually, because my processor is not accepted. (I have TPM 2.0 and are fulfilling the other conditions).
If you use the Windows update or the Media Creation Tool (and you do not fulfill all the conditions) you cannot update, because within Windows update and within the Media Creation Tool is (now) a tool to verify these conditions.

What you can do however (but don't forget, there are the risks Microsoft is advancing), is to download Windows 22621 (22H2) to a (clean and formatted) USB-key, by chosing the option within the Media Creation Tool to download Windows 11 for another computer. But then you need to go into your USB device, open the "sources" folder and find the file "appraiserres.dll" (pay attention, there is another one called "appraiser.dll", don't mix app). Open appraiserres.dll with notepad and remove ALL the content within this file by rightclicking the code within and delete it).

Then (without rebooting / booting from the USB, don't make a clean install) go to the setup.exe on your USB key and install. If asked chose to maintain your installed programs and personal files and folders. You need to restore some (very few tweaks / settings) you made, but it's not much. You will find a folder windows.old in your rootdrive. When yoou are sure everything is fine, you can remove it. But not by deleting it, you need to search and find Cleanmgr on your computer and use it to remove windows.old.

I think it's the only way to do it, if you do not fulfill the conditions. But it's at your OWN risk and peril. (Before doing it: is your computer clean")?

[I found the hint with the "appraiserres.dll" at Deskmodder].

Sir_George

Reaction score
Windows 11 2H21 does not update to 2H22. All other updates, including manual updates successful, no other errors or problems in system. I have seen this on 5 computers.
If RogerOver's post didn't help, you can check the link below for more information.

I suggest that site because it includes pictures which may be beneficial.

kittensinurface

Reaction score
The update will not come, if you do not fulfill the famous conditions with your PC/laptop. In this case Microsoft is blocking it.

I just did the update manually, because my processor is not accepted. (I have TPM 2.0 and are fulfilling the other conditions).
If you use the Windows update or the Media Creation Tool (and you do not fulfill all the conditions) you cannot update, because within Windows update and within the Media Creation Tool is (now) a tool to verify these conditions.

What you can do however (but don't forget, there are the risks Microsoft is advancing), is to download Windows 22621 (22H2) to a (clean and formatted) USB-key, by chosing the option within the Media Creation Tool to download Windows 11 for another computer. But then you need to go into your USB device, open the "sources" folder and find the file "appraiserres.dll" (pay attention, there is another one called "appraiser.dll", don't mix app). Open appraiserres.dll with notepad and remove ALL the content within this file by rightclicking the code within and delete it).

Then (without rebooting / booting from the USB, don't make a clean install) go to the setup.exe on your USB key and install. If asked chose to maintain your installed programs and personal files and folders. You need to restore some (very few tweaks / settings) you made, but it's not much. You will find a folder windows.old in your rootdrive. When yoou are sure everything is fine, you can remove it. But not by deleting it, you need to search and find Cleanmgr on your computer and use it to remove windows.old.

I think it's the only way to do it, if you do not fulfill the conditions. But it's at your OWN risk and peril. (Before doing it: is your computer clean")?

[I found the hint with the "appraiserres.dll" at Deskmodder].

Hello RogerOver, I can tell you are a helpful guy, and I appreciate the detail, but unfortunately that is an answer to a different question. I am not asking how to install Windows 11 from scratch on a PC that does not meet the Windows 11 hardware requirements. My post says I already have Windows 11 installed on several computers.
They are all new PCs that met the Windows 11 hardware requirements, that is not a problem. They have Windows 11 21H2 installed through the normal process. After attempting to update to Windows 11 22H2 on all of these machines, it reports a non-specific update "error", but no problem with hardware requirements, as they are new PCs. On some of these PCs, I attempted to update several times, with the same result. What should I do now, RogerOver? Thanks.

kittensinurface

Reaction score
If RogerOver's post didn't help, you can check the link below for more information.

I suggest that site because it includes pictures which may be beneficial.
Thank you, I may try the upgrade from Installation Assistant application method, as long as it has zero effect on Windows settings, applications, and files.

davehc

Reaction score
The suggestions above will , hopefully, work for you.
Just one small amendment. You are only required to meet the stated conditions, IF you are updating from 10. If you have already bypassed the requirement's, and are using 11 on an incompatible computer, then it should, normally, update automatically - it has done for me and my local colleagues.

Of course, a basic assumption here!:giggle: Not stated, but perhaps your computer is compatible?

RogerOver

Reaction score
Hi Dave,
Not sure, perhaps I was impatient, but I have a doubt, because I already needed to use the same procedure to get to Windows 11 22000, despite the fact that I had installed Windows 11 before. I am not talking about the current updates, which work fine, but about the main updates 22000, 22621, etc.

Last edited:

davehc

Reaction score
Lot of “horses for courses” happening with windows/ms these days.
Hard to swallow, I realise, but, since day one, I, and friends, have had no oustsnding probs with 10 or 11, siNCe the first public telease? None of us are deeply into games, and only get into things like gpedit or the registry, if we want to try something tongue in cheek.

davehc

Reaction score
Just read this on: https://mspoweruser.com/

"Meanwhile, while the automatic update sounds great, it is important to note that there’s still a safeguard hold present for Windows 11 22H2, meaning some devices might not still get it. This compatibility hold particularly refers to certain versions of drivers for Intel SST on Intel 11th Gen Core processors and Windows 11. According to Microsoft, this causes affected users to experience an error with a blue screen.

“The affected driver will be named Intel Smart Sound Technology (Intel SST) Audio Controller under System Devices in Device Manager and have the file name IntcAudioBus.sys and a file version of 10.29.0.5152 or 10.30.0.5152,” Microsoft explains. Only devices with both an Intel 11th Gen Core processors and an Intel SST driver version of 10.29.0.5152 or 10.30.0.5152 are affected by this issue.”

Fortunately, a workaround is already available to mitigate the said issue for users to get the Windows 11 22H2 update. This involves updating the Intel Smart Sound Technology drivers to version 10.30.00.5714 and later or 10.29.00.5714 and later."

BUNG

Reaction score
Quite an interesting discussion. I bought this MSI GF76 Katana back in July of 2022 and it came of course, with Windows 11 21H1 but no way is Windows giving me the option to upgrade to 22H2. I've contacted Microsoft back in late November and they said 'hold on, for it will come' but here we are in February 2023 and still nothing.
I don't want to believe a new laptop with the specs I have on it will not accept the 22H2 or vice versa. Any suggestions?

BUNG

Reaction score
When you say 'starting out with the oldest first'... do you mean by that, with the oldest computers?

yodap

Reaction score
From the article
“The update is rolling out in waves, beginning with PCs that have been running Windows 11 version 21H2 the longest.”
But who knows, sooner or later you may be able to force it.

BUNG

Reaction score
Rolling out in waves??? This is old news, yodap! We've got it on two computers here and this one that I'm on now, is another brand new machine purchased this past summer. No 22H2 and if it were going to come, it would have come a long time back laddie.

davehc

Reaction score
It is as they say. I have been running 11 since its first release. They were all updated a while ago.

yodap

Reaction score
Old news? Maybe. The article was 9-10 days old when I posted the link thinking it was relevant.

RogerOver

Reaction score
Why don't you use my method in contribution n° 2 in this thread ?
In French we say "on s'en fout" (of whom Microsoft is privileging).

BUNG

Reaction score
Old news? Maybe. The article was 9-10 days old when I posted the link thinking it was relevant.
It is 'old news' yodap, for this was available back in September. For whatever reason, this laptop which is new, isn't picking it up. Totally weird and wonderful.

BUNG

Reaction score
Why don't you use my method in contribution n° 2 in this thread ?
In French we say "on s'en fout" (of whom Microsoft is privileging).

As you mention in that thread, there are risk involved and at this point in the game, I'm not that overly excited about it anyway. This machine couldn't be more up to date and yet Microsoft won't give it. Will I lose sleep over it? Not tonight, I won't. I do wonder though, if when the next major update rips down the tubes, if it will make a difference that I don't have the 22H2 aboard.

Ask a Question