Windows Update not available

paolo_r

Reaction score
In Settings -> Windows Update 'Get the latest updates as soon as they are available' is greyed out in the 'Off' position with a sub-line 'This setting isn't available due to your organizations's policy'.

Similarly against 'Pause Update' the option is greyed out with the same message regarding organization policy.

I am not a member of an organization - it's my personal PC - so how can I overcome this issue? Whenever I 'Check for Updates' nothing is returned. I've searched the web and tried a number of suggestions regarding changing certain Group Policy parameters as well as this Registry fix:

'Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings]
"IsContinuousInnovationOptedIn"=dword:00000001'

none of which has worked.

Solutions are welcomed :)

Thanks

Windows Build/Version Windows 11 Pro 22H2

Bighorn

Reaction score
Winkey+R, type winver, post the full line starting with Version.
1685708451422.png
Is the User set with Administrative rights? Is it a Microsoft Account or Local Account?

Vote:

Bighorn

Reaction score
Not quite sure of distinction between MS Account and Local Account.
An MS Account is necessary for some of the things available in the Store, a Local Account can get a few things such as Themes. Other than that I am using Local Account on most of my Win10/Win11 computers [most are Pro], did have to use an MS Account when reinstalling Win11 Home on a Notebook but was able to also create a Local Account then remove the MS Account. For me not having to need the login with a password required is more convenient. MS seems to be tightening things up with clean installs of Win11.

Vote:

RogerOver

Reaction score
I have the same specifications as the OP and a local account and could set the 'Get the latest updates as soon as they are available' to ON.

---

Did you try the "Windows update troubleshooter" in (Computer) Settings\System\Troubelshooters\Other Troubleshooters ?

What you could further do is to use the "built-in administrator account", which has even more priviledges than the normal administrator account.

Go to search und type "cmd".

Rightclick (!) on it and "run as Administrator". Then type "net user administrator /active:yes" (with the spaces, without quotation marks) at the cmd-prompt. If the creation of the new account was success ful, it will confirm. If not retry, attention the term" administrator" is language specific (in my case I need to tape "administrateur").

Then log off from your account (no need to restart the computer). On the logon screen switch to the just created Administrator account. It may take some time to open, because Microsoft needs to prepare the creation of the just created account.

Go to Windows update and see if you can change the settings.

Then log off from the new account. This account is not meant to be constantly used !!!

After having logged in to your normal (User-Administrator) account, don't forget to type "net user administrator /active:no" at the cmd prompt (run as administrator), which will completely close this special administrator account. To do this is necessary, because the special administraor account has many priviledges and is thus a security risk, if it's constantly open !

Last edited:

Vote:

RogerOver

Reaction score
Another, more easy way and thus perhaps to try first, is to start your computer in "safe mode".

To do this, follow these instructions (replace "clear" by "set"; this is an error in the instructions): https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-92c27cff-db89-8644-1ce4-b3e5e56fe234

Restart, then try to change your settings in Windows update.
Afterwards you need to remove the tick again (this time "clear" in the instructions is correct) in "msconfig", otherwise your computer will always start in "safe mode").

Vote:

paolo_r

Reaction score
I have the same specifications as the OP and a local account and could set the 'Get the latest updates as soon as they are available' to ON.

---

Did you try the "Windows update troubleshooter" in (Computer) Settings\System\Troubelshooters\Other Troubleshooters ?

What you could further do is to use the "built-in administrator account", which has even more priviledges than the normal administrator account.

Go to search und type "cmd".

Rightclick (!) on it and "run as Administrator". Then type "net user administrator /active:yes" (with the spaces, without quotation marks) at the cmd-prompt. If the creation of the new account was success ful, it will confirm. If not retry, attention the term" administrator" is language specific (in my case I need to tape "administrateur").

Then log off from your account (no need to restart the computer). On the logon screen switch to the just created Administrator account. It may take some time to open, because Microsoft needs to prepare the creation of the just created account.

Go to Windows update and see if you can change the settings.

Then log off from the new account. This account is not meant to be constantly used !!!

After having logged in to your normal (User-Administrator) account, don't forget to type "net user administrator /active:no" at the cmd prompt (run as administrator), which will completely close this special administrator account. To do this is necessary, because the special administraor account has many priviledges and is thus a security risk, if it's constantly open !

I tried the Windows Update Troubleshooter and it said problem detected but when I went to Windows Update the problem stll persists - I cannot change the 'Get the latest updates as soon as possible' option.

I tried your other option re built in admin account but, again, no solution.

Vote:

RogerOver

Reaction score
Then the only other idea I have is Windows repair from Tweaking.com: https://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html It's a very good tool.
When installed "Go directly to reparations" (bottom middle), accept the backup of your registry and the warning (you don't need to go into safe mode for this), then "Begin with reparations" (or similar, my PC is in French), above on the left.
In the windows that opens, only check the two lines (Windows update and VSS) shown in the screenshot (n° 16 and 18 in my case) and run the repair, then restart.

Please also have a look at this (there effectively seem to be some problems with Windows update, see more to the middle of the long conbtribution): https://www.askvg.com/get-the-lates...ey-are-available-toggle-option-in-windows-11/

Capture.JPG

Vote:

paolo_r

Reaction score
@RogerOver

Many thanks. I did exactly as you suggested. Unfortunately I still cannot change the 'Get Windows Updates as soon as they're available' option. It stays stubbornly in the 'Off' position.

I checked my Windows Update history and the KB5026372 Update was installed on10/05/2023 so this should have fixed the problem.

Vote:

Palladini

Reaction score
I ditched Windows when Microsoft ended support for Windows 7. My Daily Operating System Is Linux Mint. I can do more with Linux Mint than I ever could do with Windows Operating Systems, and do it with less cost involved. And Look at this picture, this is something no Windows OS can do

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2023-06-06 15-42-45.png
    Screenshot from 2023-06-06 15-42-45.png
    467.1 KB · Views: 1

Vote:

Ask a Question