Wordpad in Windows 11

Amadeus51

Reaction score
I want to get wordpad on my laptop. It didn't come with office. Is there any way to get just wordpad? I don't want to pay a big price for a lot of apps I never use.

davehc

Reaction score
Wordpad is not part of office, it is part of the OS.

Easiest way to have it permanently available is:
In Windows Explorer, scroll down in the windows folder and find "Write"
Right click it and select your option -- "pin to start" - Pin to Taskbar"
Done
I believe it is considered a little redundant by MS, but I use i as my main letter writer.

Amadeus51

Reaction score
When I try to open a file written on Wordpad, it won't let me use the file because I don't have Office. I can read it, but I can't edit. I will look and see what I can find. I'm typing this on my desktop, which does have the right software.

Sir_George

Reaction score

Amadeus51

Reaction score

davehc

Reaction score
When I try to open a file written on Wordpad, it won't let me use the file because I don't have Office. I can read it, but I can't edit. I will look and see what I can find. I'm typing this on my desktop, which does have the right software.
Wordpad has no connection with Outlook. It is a free standing program. Your problem is probably with the default associates. - Wordpad , by default, uses the rtf format.

Sir_George

Reaction score
Wordpad has no connection with Outlook. It is a free standing program. Your problem is probably with the default associates. - Wordpad , by default, uses the rtf format.
I agree, Wordpad has no connection with Outlook. RTF (Rich Text Format) is associated with MS Word which can be a standalone or part of Office and Wordpad does use the RTF association, that was the reason I posted the link to the article.

Amadeus51

Reaction score
Got into settings, found the RTF entry and clicked okay. Stiff doesn't word. Apparently since it was set up on Win10 Wordpad, Win11 won't open it without sending me to Office. Any other ideas?

Sir_George

Reaction score
Got into settings, found the RTF entry and clicked okay. Stiff doesn't word. Apparently since it was set up on Win10 Wordpad, Win11 won't open it without sending me to Office. Any other ideas?
I am not suggesting you use any information in the link I have attached but review it and see if anything in the article helps.

I hope something suggested helps and if it does post a follow-up.

davehc

Reaction score
"Apparently since it was set up on Win10 Wordpad," No. Something else wrong. write has not changed for several OS generations.
But I am not clear with your comment. What happens if you click "write"
I would also suggest you follow the link given. It is very comprehensive and pointless in rewriting the contents here.

Amadeus51

Reaction score
Whenever I open Word, a window pops up saying "Lets get started with Microsoft 365". Word is listed as an unlicensed product. The file I'm trying to open is on a flash drive, does that make a difference?

Sir_George

Reaction score
Why are you trying to use Word? Your original post states you are trying to use Wordpad.

alan sh

Reaction score
I think what's happened is that the PC came with an offer for Office 365. This, for some strange reason, had an association of .docx with MS Word - which wasn't actually installed, but meant that when you tried to open a .docx file, it wanted you to install the trial.

What you need to do is to go and find the file assocation for .docx (Settings, Apps, Choose defaults by file type) and change it so it will open Wordpad instead.

I hope that helps a bit.

Alan

Amadeus51

Reaction score
I think what's happened is that the PC came with an offer for Office 365. This, for some strange reason, had an association of .docx with MS Word - which wasn't actually installed, but meant that when you tried to open a .docx file, it wanted you to install the trial.

What you need to do is to go and find the file assocation for .docx (Settings, Apps, Choose defaults by file type) and change it so it will open Wordpad instead.

I hope that helps a bit.

Alan
I've been trying to open an rtf file. Will try the docx instead.

alan sh

Reaction score
In that case, the same applies - except swap .rtf for .docx in my explanation above.

Alan

Amadeus51

Reaction score
The file I wish to open was written on Wordpad, transferred to a flash drive, but can still be edited on my desktop as wordpad. Shouldn't it do the same on the laptop. I can open the file on the laptop, but I can't edit.

Amadeus51

Reaction score
Okay, I got it fixed. I DL 1File Viewer from the Apps store, now I can edit. Thanks for the help.

Ask a Question