XCOPY does not work

Guido

Reaction score
We use xcopy running as a batch file. It copies files from a NAS to an External USB Drive. The syntax we use is as follows : Xcopy \\NAS\FILES E:\FILES /s /e /c /r /k /h /d /y It opens and closes within a second but it does not run. Your help is appreciated

RogerOver

Reaction score
An "acces rights" problem ?
AFAIK, batch files cannot be run "as Administrator". You neet to create a shortcut to the batch file and run the shortcut "as Administrator" (rightclick the shortcut, find the shortcut tab, click on "Advanced").

Vote:

Bighorn

Reaction score
My thought, does the command work when entered in the Command Prompt manually? If so, create the .bat file then if it will never need changing, use a solution from the Internet to convert that .bat file to an .exe/executable. But there is a possibility of a variable involvement, changing of the USB drive letter which can happen using a different drive or a different port.

Vote:

Guido

Reaction score
An "acces rights" problem ?
AFAIK, batch files cannot be run "as Administrator". You neet to create a shortcut to the batch file and run the shortcut "as Administrator" (rightclick the shortcut, find the shortcut tab, click on "Advanced").
Thank you for your reply.
I had done this already. It was my mistake, I assigned the wrong drive letter to the USB drive.
However, we still have a problem. When we run it as administrator, we have to input the Administrative username and password every time.
Can we assign administrative privileges once.

Regards,
Guido

Vote:

Guido

Reaction score
My thought, does the command work when entered in the Command Prompt manually? If so, create the .bat file then if it will never need changing, use a solution from the Internet to convert that .bat file to an .exe/executable. But there is a possibility of a variable involvement, changing of the USB drive letter which can happen using a different drive or a different port.

Please read my reply to Roger.
Regards,
Guido

Vote:

Bighorn

Reaction score
I had done this already. It was my mistake, I assigned the wrong drive letter to the USB drive.
However, we still have a problem. When we run it as administrator, we have to input the Administrative username and password every time.
Can we assign administrative privileges once.

Regards,
Guido
As far as I know only by turning UAC off.

Vote:

RogerOver

Reaction score
Sorry Guido,

... but I have no answer !
(I am wondering however, if the problem is not on the other side. Who is the owner of the USB drive = the drive you called "E" in your first contribution ?)

Vote:

Ask a Question