Windows Security - Actions Needed. Threat found but remove and quarantine buttons do nothing.

Jelly

Reaction score
I have a notification from Windows Security that a threat has been found and it lists an old type of downloader virus that is apparently in a location in my Windows temp folder. I tried clicking the remove button and it just clicked but didn't take any action (same for the quarantine button).

The notification has been there for several days now and it just won't let me remove the file.

To try and solve it myself, I emptied the temp folder. I couldn't even see the apparent file before clearing the folder, but it's definitely not there now.

Should I be worried? Is this a virus and why can't Windows take action against it?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd do a quick scan using something like MBAM (https://www.malwarebytes.com/) - there's a free version which doesn't offer realtime protection. Give that a run for a bit of peace of mind!

I'd suggest re-starting your PC and running another scan, as it could just be that Windows Security hasn't detected the file has already disappeared.

Do you know what the virus name was, as that may give a clue for it's severity and how it got there?

Jelly

Reaction score
Thank you. After rebooting my computer it disappeared off the list.

Ask a Question