Volume keys changing volume but no effect

Ballens

Reaction score
Ever since my cat decided to lay on my keyboard, the volume keys haven't been working right. Pressing volume up or down shows the volume bar moving on the screen, but it doesn't actually change the volume.
I have to go into the sound mixer and adjust it manually by clicking and dragging. Is there any way to fix this or am I stuck with it?

Bighorn

Reaction score
Since the type of computer is not mentioned I'd say a Desktop could have a replacement keyboard and if it's a Notebook a replacement keyboard can be installed but it's not as simple, have to do some disassembly. Also with a Notebook one can get a USB, Wired or Wireless, keyboard to plug in and use, just have to assure it's a multi-media version to have the volume keys, price could be acceptable or high. I'd try to borrow one first to test whether some other damage is involved.

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
Outdated software may be the cause of your problems, as it may develop bugs that reduce the functionality of the volume buttons, among other things. That's why updating to the newest software version will help fix such issues. For this fix, check your device to see if an update is available so you can hop on it.

Here's the steps you can try;

Press Windows key + X
  • Go to Settings​
  • Click Update and Security​
  • Click Troubleshooter then Additional troubleshooter.​
  • Look for Playing Audio and run the troubleshooter.​

Once done proceed with these steps
  • Press Windows key + X
  • Go to Device Manager
  • Expand the Sound and Video Game Controllers
  • Look for Audio driver that was installed
  • Right click and Update
  • Look for "Browse my computer for driver
  • Let me pick drivers available drivers
  • Choose an old driver and use it.

Go to Control Panel
  • In Control Panel, select Large icons from the View by drop down menu.​
  • Select Sound.​
  • Select the Playback tab​
  • Right click the Speakers and click Enable.​
  • Rightclick it again and select Set as Default Device.​
  • Right click Speakers and click Properties.​
  • Click the Levels tab, then drag the volume slider towards the largest value.​
  • Click on Advance Tab​
  • Uncheck the box to "Allow Application to take exclusive controls on this device"​
  • Click OK.​

Restart your computer and check the audio.

Ask a Question