A replacement for the toolbars under Windows 11

Behemot

Reaction score
The "Create new toolbar in the taskbar" function has been removed under Windows 11. This means that it is no longer possible to display a new toolbar for a menu that you have created yourself. The Microsoft Store App "PerfectMenu"
may offer a way out. I wrote this app and use it successfully under Windows 11, whereby I was able to transfer the folders created under Windows 10 with the shortcuts 1: 1. Since it can be assumed that other users also need extensive menu structures, I would like to refer to the app mentioned.

Last edited:

t8769

Reaction score
Hi

Good to see this app, can you make folders in the Start menu open when the mouse is over them so they can be explored?

This would create toolbars like in Win10.

Thanks

Behemot

Reaction score
Hi,
I'll think about this. Do you mean: it is not so good to see all shortcuts at once and better if they appear when the mouse is over the corresponding folder? If everything comes up at once, is that too confusing - or just because of the similarity to Windows 10? (I originally thought it was an advantage if "everything" appears at once :))

t8769

Reaction score
No, I'd like to see the folder open up, so that I can access all the files inside without clicking on anything.

thanks

Behemot

Reaction score
No, I'd like to see the folder open up, so that I can access all the files inside without clicking on anything.

thanks
Hi,

Reading your „Taskbar toolbars - how to get them back? Windows 11 Taskbar sucks!“ I fully understood you. In order to realize what you want, my app would have to intervene programmatically in the functionality of the taskbar. I am not able to do that. My app is just a substitute (like sweetener instead of sugar) for the toolbars as they worked under Windows 10. And I would like to bet: one day Microsoft will restore the Taskbar toolbars for Windows 11 - then it could happen that I throw away my own app. My suggestion: do the same!

Thanks​

t8769

Reaction score
OK thanks

Yes, perhaps have to go back to Windows 10

Thank you

Corum

Reaction score
This tool is good and replaces some of the lost functionality with Windows 11. So thanks for that.
What would be even better though is if it was able to show shortcuts that are nested within subfolders.
So the default path it D:\shortcuts
The app shows shortcuts within D:\shortcuts\games\
But not in D:\Shortcuts\games\RPG\
etc.

Behemot

Reaction score
This tool is good and replaces some of the lost functionality with Windows 11. So thanks for that.
What would be even better though is if it was able to show shortcuts that are nested within subfolders.
So the default path it D:\shortcuts
The app shows shortcuts within D:\shortcuts\games\
But not in D:\Shortcuts\games\RPG\
etc.
An essential feature of the app is that with a single click all the links are instantly available, so that no additional clicks are necessary to reach any links via further nested sub-folders. In addition, the following principle applies: a maximum of 10 subdirectories with a maximum of 30 links each are possible (results in a maximum of 300 links), so the screen is full and there is no space for further links to be opened. To solve your problem, choose your sub-folders like this:
D:\shortcuts\games\
D:\Shortcuts\RPG\
Unfortunately, the disadvantage that you don't see that “RPG” is subordinate to “games” has to be accepted.

Corum

Reaction score
Thanks. Yes I've already maxed out the number of folders that can be displayed side by side, several for apps and several for games and one for docs etc, to try and negate the need for nesting.
Anyway, as it is, the app is lightweight, quick and very handy, when compared to other apps such as nexus, so much appreciated and will definitely continue to use until MS decide to listen to their customers and bring back some additional toolbar functionality.

Behemot

Reaction score
Thanks. Yes I've already maxed out the number of folders that can be displayed side by side, several for apps and several for games and one for docs etc, to try and negate the need for nesting.
Anyway, as it is, the app is lightweight, quick and very handy, when compared to other apps such as nexus, so much appreciated and will definitely continue to use until MS decide to listen to their customers and bring back some additional toolbar functionality.
Something else occurred to me: If you insert a link with the name “RPGlnk” within the “games” folder, which links the “RPG” folder, this works somewhat provisionally.

Ask a Question