Absoubtly crap this win 11.

Bill Shannon

Reaction score
Set up computer fine installed openoffice fine at first then when I moved my spread sheets household and also the nurses roster for my wifes nursing care as she has dementia I found the files stopped working very soon after. But it didn't stop I found open office also stopped while office 365 was pestering me 247. so tried to uninstal openoffice soi
I could reinstal it and it stopped. so in despiration I tried deleting the folder so I could do a full reinstal but windows 11 stopped me still offering office 365. Which I don't want. I like open office I've been using it for 23 years without issue. so now I have no office suite can't uninstall it can't repair it, can't delete it and then I have also the issues of right to use my own spread sheets even though my name is the same on all 3 computers. I purchased this notebook specifically for my wifes care and rosters and Paying the nurses and its frigin useless and I can't do anything logical to get my computer running because this win 11 is not logical unless you work for microsoft. Then we have to ask where the hell has microsoft help gone. i've done it2 &4 and this is bad I think. I like the computer its fast but its operateing is not giving me the freedom to use what available software I choose. ATM I have no idea how to get my openoffice running again.

Bill Shannon

Reaction score
Fixed it the win98 way, I coppied my office folder in my win10 computer then pasted the files into my win 11 puter openoffice folder and pasting it leaving same files not overiding them this was I was able to reinstal office over the top then shut down and reboot and my office is working but the security is too high it should rely on your name only for ownership of files.

Vote:

Bill Shannon

Reaction score
Fixed it the win98 way, I coppied my office folder in my win10 computer then pasted the files into my win 11 puter openoffice folder and pasting it leaving same files not overiding them this was I was able to reinstal office over the top then shut down and reboot and my office is working but the security is too high it should rely on your name only for ownership of files.
Also if computers are synced ownership of files shouldn't be an issue with files and spreadsheets we create.

Vote:

Bill Shannon

Reaction score
I think this problem may have occured beecause I'm not used to the change in the task bar as I always have a double layer in my task bar in win 10 and no task bar in win 11 is different and the icons are different slightly.

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
Sorry no help came forth. I think might have been able to help, but have not been near my computers for a couple of days ( posting this from my mobile)
sympathies and empathy with the wife - I am in exactly the same situation - bills getting more constant and the budget getting lower.
Anyway, congrats on solving the problem yourself. It is possible to widen the taskbar, I’ll get back to you if noone else steps in. :confused:

Vote:

Bill Shannon

Reaction score
Wider Task bar would be nicethat search box is a waste of space could have been on the start button. I have got it almost full though.

Vote:

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
First thing I do, every time I install Win-11, is to right click on the new Win-11 style taskbar and then click on Taskbar Settings....go to the bottom of the page and click on "Taskbar Behaviors" and change 'Center' to "Left" for the icon positioning. Somewhere along there it's possible to get that BIG Search bar down to just a simple little icon, that resembles a magnifying glass. Then Right Click on the task bar icons you don't want And "UNPIN FROM TASKBAR". There are a few that I always get rid of, right off the bat.

As for Office 365 or whatever, totally get rid of it, before you try installing any other office Clone, like Open Office or Libre Office. You'll have fewer conflicts, and none of that MS BS.
:cool:
PS: Windows 11 is by far the most "Programmable" version of Windows I've ever worked with.
Yes, that can be daunting and even confusing, to the unaccustomed.
There have always been things that one could do within Windows, to modify it, but required a Registry entry (tweak) , however with Win-11, most of those things are in Settings somewhere, so that anyone can get to them. It's just a whole different ball game. And I'm sure it can be pretty confusing to anyone not really familiar with tweaking Windows.

I sort of am, because I was tweaking DOS, before Windows ever hit the streets. And the C-64 even before that. It's been a long road, of Tweak this and Tweak that. So Windows was really nothing new. Same ol' crap, different day.

Last edited:

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
If you don't use the search too often, best remove it and use it aagain from the start menu. Right click the taskbar and slide off the search.
fwiw, I have, for many years, used "everything" as my alternative search facility. It is ver fast and more capable than the MS built in facility.

For the taskbar size it is neccesary to edit the registry. Not something I reccomend, but, if you are willing:whistle:

Vote:

Bill Shannon

Reaction score
First thing I do, every time I install Win-11, is to right click on the new Win-11 style taskbar and then click on Taskbar Settings....go to the bottom of the page and click on "Taskbar Behaviors" and change 'Center' to "Left" for the icon positioning. Somewhere along there it's possible to get that BIG Search bar down to just a simple little icon, that resembles a magnifying glass. Then Right Click on the task bar icons you don't want And "UNPIN FROM TASKBAR". There are a few that I always get rid of, right off the bat.

As for Office 365 or whatever, totally get rid of it, before you try installing any other office Clone, like Open Office or Libre Office. You'll have fewer conflicts, and none of that MS BS.
:cool:
PS: Windows 11 is by far the most "Programmable" version of Windows I've ever worked with.
Yes, that can be daunting and even confusing, to the unaccustomed.
There have always been things that one could do within Windows, to modify it, but required a Registry entry (tweak) , however with Win-11, most of those things are in Settings somewhere, so that anyone can get to them. It's just a whole different ball game. And I'm sure it can be pretty confusing to anyone not really familiar with tweaking Windows.

I sort of am, because I was tweaking DOS, before Windows ever hit the streets. And the C-64 even before that. It's been a long road, of Tweak this and Tweak that. So Windows was really nothing new. Same ol' crap, different day.
is it still msconfig to enter the registery?

Vote:

Bill Shannon

Reaction score
Thank you for your help I now have alot of space on the task bar, Just wish this had the numeral short australian version for the date in win 11.

Vote: