Disgusted

timpiker

Reaction score
Not sure where else to post this or if anyone even cares but Microsoft, again, seems to go out of their way to tick people off. I have a fairly new PC and now I find I cannot use Windows 11 because I don't have TPM 2.0. Convince me this is NOT a scam by Microsoft to sell more products and customers/users be damned.

plat

Reaction score
Well, my machine is compliant, and I'm running Windows 11 successfully at the moment but I'm certainly not excusing Microsoft for this abrupt and surprising move that puts a lot of people out of the loop. Not to mention stressing the landfills with toxic waste and adding to some already inflated costs for new devices. It's a mess. MS may yet reverse some restrictions like cpu generation (to 7th) but something tells me it's gonna hold firm to just about every policy. Hope I'm wrong someday.

I think that increasing costs to the consumer just to be nasty and venal is not the plan. Microsoft is shifting a lot of responsibility security-wise to the end-user. Recall the Solarwinds attack becoming public knowledge earlier this year, when part of Microsoft's source code was stolen. Then, more recently, Microsoft signed off on a driver that turned out to be a rootkit (though intended for gamers in certain regions in China). Although that puts a ding in the Secure Boot idea, it's still moving along with the ever-increasing threat landscape. Just now, hundreds of corporations around the world were hit by ransomware at the same time, using a common network software. The group behind it is Russian based--some see it as an act of war already. That's how I perceive the rationale for making these hardware and UEFI-based security modules mandatory.

I believe Microsoft should have focussed on the Enterprise and networks running critical infrastructure first. This is affecting the private consumer division a little bit too much, imo. Who knows.

sgage

Reaction score
For years people have been complaining about Windows' lack of security, and berating MS for carrying along legacy hardware. The minute they do, out come the 'MS scam to force users to buy blah blah blah'. First of all, you are not forced to buy anything - Windows 10 is being supported for over 4 more years, and one suspects well beyond that. Second, there will probably be a workaround for TPM 2.0 before then, or the requirement will be dropped. It seems like people just love to be outraged and disgusted - it's not just tech, either. I wonder what it is that's making people so touchy. I blame the Internet :)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
For years people have been complaining about Windows' lack of security, and berating MS for carrying along legacy hardware. The minute they do, out come the 'MS scam to force users to buy blah blah blah'.
Well said.
Second, there will probably be a workaround for TPM 2.0 before then, or the requirement will be dropped.
I certainly hope not.
I think TPM v.2 should be a mandatory, minimum, requirement going forward.

I pretty much oversee a dozen or so computers in my personal household and my children and grandchildren equally divided between desktops and laptops.
All are flawlessly running Windows 10 (latest public release version), none qualify for Windows 11 because of the TPM requirement.

No one has expressed any interest in Windows 11 and for the most part, I don't believe any of them have any knowledge that the new OS is in the offing.
As you so aptly point out Windows 10 should be good for at least another 4 years.
I expect that should provide plenty of time for all to assess both the value and need for them to upgrade their devices.

Thanks for your post and thanks for joining the forum.

TheOldMarine

Reaction score
I was able to turn on the TPM 2.0 requirement by upgrading my Ryzen 1800x to a Ryzen 9 3900x. I did buy the CPU prior to the chip shortage. I see the price is once again below 400. USD.

Cheers, Ray
Semper Fi.

davehc

Reaction score
There has been a subtle change in the popup not on the insider settings (I think)
Before, I got a pretty flat comment that my computer was incompatible and would not be able to run Windows 11.

Now

1626253916284.png

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
There has been a subtle change in the popup not on the insider settings (I think)
Before, I got a pretty flat comment that my computer was incompatible and would not be able to run Windows 11.

Now

View attachment 47
Interesting... I wonder if this means that allowing older PCs is going to be on the cards, with some provisos.

Garyw

Reaction score

Now

View attachment 47

I have a W11 VHD that boots through Bios and it gets this message:

W11(Bios) warning.jpg
I agree: I think it previously said required?

That Fool Pool Man

Reaction score
Not sure where else to post this or if anyone even cares but Microsoft, again, seems to go out of their way to tick people off. I have a fairly new PC and now I find I cannot use Windows 11 because I don't have TPM 2.0. Convince me this is NOT a scam by Microsoft to sell more products and customers/users be damned.
Easy. They're too stupid to pull that off.

needle

Reaction score
As long as 10 is supported for another 6 years or so, I don't care at all about 11. Results right now show that my PC conceived Sept 1 2018 ( I hope for 10 yrs out of a new PC) won't take 11. Thing might change and 10 is running fine.

davehc

Reaction score
Easy. They're too stupid to pull that off.
Definitely imo. I believe that Microsoft are about to release a nightmare and hackers paradise OS. Most hackers are more mischevious than harmful and, to the point, love to have the gauntlet thrown down.
Secure boot and TPM have been hacked in the past. Now, with the boast of security inWindows 11, there will be hackers all over the world out to prove how naive MS are

Last edited:

needle

Reaction score
I thought 10 was going to be a nightmare too; in some ways it was; but it was fixable or there were work-arounds created by users. It wasn't the nerve racking upgrade I thought 10 was being that I was happy (at the time) with 7. Did not have a lot of those hideous crashes that became so famous. Did not panic about 10 and will not panic about 11. Don't need it and will wait it out, hopefully until it is time to build a new PC
Thanks for rthe input.

tpl

Reaction score
I thought 10 was going to be a nightmare too; in some ways it was; but it was fixable or there were work-arounds created by users. It wasn't the nerve racking upgrade I thought 10 was being that I was happy (at the time) with 7. Did not have a lot of those hideous crashes that became so famous. Did not panic about 10 and will not panic about 11. Don't need it and will wait it out, hopefully until it is time to build a new PC
Thanks for rthe input.
Have you checked deep down in advanced setting somewhere in the bios that there is not a thing which might or might not have security in its name that is currently disabled?

For some reason lots of uptodate mobos have firmware TPM and it is disabled.

needle

Reaction score
Thanks; and yes I did dig down into the bios; disappointed as the pc was built sept 2018. Something might arrive one day as an update.
I'm too to build pc's too often

tpl

Reaction score
Thanks; and yes I did dig down into the bios; disappointed as the pc was built sept 2018. Something might arrive one day as an update.
It maybe that the correct tpm module. Note that TPM sockets are one of only about two non standard sockets on monos…don’t bother to ask how I know. TPM modules will (re)appear on Newegg or EBay at a reasonable price. Your mobo will have a socket for one. If it doesn’t have a socket then I’d bet that it is still hidden in the bios.

jvickers

Reaction score
Depending on your motherboard manufacturer, they may have a BIOS update that enables these components necessary for Windows 11. I know this is the case with some ASUS and some MSI motherboards. Check your motherboard's manufacturer to see.

needle

Reaction score
will pull the manual and have another look at modules and will revisit the bios tonight.