DISM and SFC cannot fix corrupted files

Jenkinsu

Reaction score
Hello, the problem started with me switching out my old ram and after I did that my PC started running extremely slowly and my audio kept skipping and glitching, tried to run SFC and it said I have corrupt files that it couldnt fix, tried running DISM and this is the current state of affairs

c:\>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:WIM:c:\install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.22621.1

Image Version: 10.0.22621.1702

[===========================53.3% ]
Error: 3

The system cannot find the path specified.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

Tried again but this time just using restorehealth

c:\>DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.22621.1

Image Version: 10.0.22621.1702

[===========================53.3% ]
Error: 3

The system cannot find the path specified.

I'm incredibly lost, I'd like to fix the issue without having to fac reset my PC again since it's such a pain to get all my games reinstalled and such. Please help :(

Attachments

• dism2.txt
    220.7 KB · Views: 1

RogerOver

Reaction score
Hi Jenkinsu and welcome !

The first thing I would try is to run your (the same) DISM command from the cmd line in advanced startup mode (from the X-drive): https://www.minitool.com/news/advanced-options-windows-10-009.html

If this does not work, change - still in advanced startup - the drive with the "cd" command from "X" to your "C" drive (or to the drive from where you were operating before) and try again.

Then please report back !

You also could do a repair install without losing anything. I did it recently using a Windows iso file (see Method 5 here): https://7datarecovery.com/blog/reinstall-windows-without-losing-files/
You can get the iso file following these instructions (Option 2): https://www.elevenforum.com/t/download-official-windows-11-iso-file-from-microsoft.1009/

Download the iso, thenrRightclick and mount the iso and then don't reboot (start the reinstall by clicking on the setup file within the mounted iso). During the install process, you will be asked whether you want to keep all your files and folders. Check it ! When the install is finished, you will have all your files and folders and your system files restored and/or repaired. There will also be a folder windows.old besides your (new) windows folder. Delete it only after a few days, when you won't detect any problems. Use "disk cleanup" to do that: https://www.hellotech.com/guide/for/how-to-delete-windows-old-folder

Good luck

Vote:

Bighorn

Reaction score
Don't know if it applies and haven't seen it happen lately but changing internal parts in a computer can have failures if the power source is not disconnected and residual power given a minute or so to drain off before unplugging and plugging things in. As long as the power is connected and even with the computer off there is still power to the motherboard and things can get damaged. That was a change coming from the AT-style boards of the mid-90s to the ATX boards since.

Vote:

Jenkinsu

Reaction score
Sorry for late reply, been super busy with work so I didn't see any signs of physical damage on either the ram or motherboard so don't know about that, but I ran the dism sfc all that and it just tells me theres corrupt files or whatever that they cant fix, I've tried running the ISO off my flash drive and every time I can get it to actually run it gets stuck on the getting updates screen, my PC hasn't been able to successfully update in months so I'm assuming it's related to that issue

Vote:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
The correct command as below, adn should be run via Administrator, press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to open Task Manager and run the task from there, remember to tick Run with Administrator Privileges button ..

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Vote:

Bighorn

Reaction score
Only one word change, SFC and DISM have to be run as Admin, changes need the elevated privilege to make them.

Vote:

Bighorn

Reaction score
Most likely a Repair or Reset would be next. I was given an HP Laptop 15 for parts and was able to get it running but a problem with a red line across the top and flashing screens, not productive. Found that doing a full shutdown then start again worked until the next shutdown, wiped the drive on Sunday and did a full/clean install, been great since.

Vote:

Ask a Question