Is this odd or is it just me?

Apsaalooke Crow

Reaction score
So, I have made just the greeting here and one post...

On the last reply of that post, I attempted to attach a screen shot.

I made the SS simple, just the insert/print screen key and a beautiful SS of my win 11 set up saved and uploaded to my one drive.
When I made the post, I attached that file and it "ticked" to 100% and I posted, then the ss didn't load apparently due to file size?

Do you, as I do, find it odd that a generic native capture made from Windows 11 uploaded by native OneDrive to my OneDrive cloud storage would be too large a file to attach on the Windows 11 forum?

Peace,
AC

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Do you, as I do, find it odd
A bit... yes.
There is a size limit, somewhere around a meg. Most screenshots are well below that.

There are some additional restrictions on new members. I'm not familiar with them all.
Perhaps you could DM @Ian
He would likely be able to explain it, whatever "it" is or was.

Apsaalooke Crow

Reaction score
A bit... yes.
Howsit Trouble?

Thx for reply friend.
The mentioned SS is a whopping 2.99mb ...lol.
I made another and it is the same size.
I sure am curious if this is due to some setting I have or have not made.
/advanced shows: 1920 x 1080, 60Hz 6-bit RGB SDR
/display is use and play HDR with scale and layout all default (Recommended)
/captures is all default with video quality standard
/hdr is supported and play is toggled to on ...default I believe.

Sure also be interested to know what other user's results are as far as file size, simply making a print screen capture with no apps or other programs open with mouse hovered on toolbar clicked on "show hidden icons" ...as is the case with the SS's I made attempting to show off my ideal of this wicked speedy flawlessly running Win 11 set up.

AC

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Are you using the Windows Logo key + the Print Screen key to do your screenshot?
I've tried it a couple times and I can get one larger than a few hundred KB

Apsaalooke Crow

Reaction score
Are you using the Windows Logo key + the Print Screen
...well first two were just single tap of print screen key. both "auto" saved to my SS folder and OneDrive.
I just made one as you instructed and interestingly it is 2.54mb in size, only saved to my SS folder, and was too large to upload here also.

Sure appreciate reply friend, sent link to Ian and as this is merely a curiosity and certainly no issue it's all good.

All good on ya,

AC

davehc

Reaction score
1642052326679.png

No modifications. Just copied with the snipping tool shortcut and pasted. (225Kbs)
It may be interesting to see what Ian has to say - I am not aware of any such restriction.
Just a thought. You used the word "Upload". Not certain of your procedure there, but have you tried just copy and paste

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The current max attachment size is 1MB, which is a little small but should be able to handle any photo after compression. However, it looks like the forum won't automatically compress images unless they need to be physically resized (in terms of dimensions). I've tried setting the max image dimensions to 1200x1200, which means anything larger than this should be compressed.

Give it a try now and see if it works :)

Apsaalooke Crow

Reaction score
View attachment 487

No modifications. Just copied with the snipping tool shortcut and pasted. (225Kbs)
It may be interesting to see what Ian has to say - I am not aware of any such restriction.
Just a thought. You used the word "Upload". Not certain of your procedure there, but have you tried just copy and paste
hiya davehc
thx for reply friend
so, by "upload" I was either referring to how, when I made the screenies using just the single clik of the print screen key, the screenshot was created, saved to my screenshot folder and uploaded to OneDrive. The file size of these screen shots is 2.99mb
-or-
by "upload" I was referring to using the" Attach files" function.

seeins as how I am making this reply to you just now I will attempt to copy and paste the screenie I made using win + prt sc

1642086684968.png

the snipping tool is something I am unfamiliar with, sure sounds handy. I will have to educate myself and give it a whirl.

all good on ya davehc,

ac

Apsaalooke Crow

Reaction score
The current max attachment size is 1MB, which is a little small but should be able to handle any photo after compression. However, it looks like the forum won't automatically compress images unless they need to be physically resized (in terms of dimensions). I've tried setting the max image dimensions to 1200x1200, which means anything larger than this should be compressed.

Give it a try now and see if it works :)
hiya Ian

thx for reply friend.

seems i was able to simply copy paste the ss i made.

considerin the only screenshots I had bothered to make in the past were on xbox console which also saves to onedrive as it does the movies one is able to create, I figure I have a bit of school to do. there are all kinds of "tools" I have not bothered play with in the past.

mmuuwhahaha... >=)

davehc

Reaction score
And A. Crow. You can configure the snipping tool in the settings. It then just one click of prtscr, which give a very discrete rectangle with the various functions.:
Apps - apps and features - snipping tool. Select the three dots and advanced options.

Apsaalooke Crow

Reaction score
And A. Crow. You can configure the snipping tool in the settings. It then just one click of prtscr, which give a very discrete rectangle with the various functions.:
Apps - apps and features - snipping tool. Select the three dots and advanced options.
very cool.. ty

Ask a Question