Nightmare - Try to Avoid Flashing Your BIOS

jvickers

Reaction score
Dadgumit!

What a nightmare. I flashed my BIOS to the newest version because the new version offered speedups with some things. Well, avoid that if possible because, as I failed to read, it returned the BIOS to factory defaults, and that means it disabled UEFI and TPM2.0. When I went to check my DEV channel, it said in a rude, red box that my computer was not compatible. ARGHH!

That wouldn't be a problem, except that I forgot how to enable those settings. On to 20 minutes or so of figuring out things. So, 20 minutes later, with no real help from MSI might I add, I found my original notes on how to set up everything correctly.

The long and the short of it is don't update your BIOS unless you absolutely must do that. One would think the new BIOS flashes would automatically enable UEFI and TPM2.0.... Doesn't seem to be the case yet.

All I have to say is "Thanks goodness I was looking around or I'd have been rolled back!"

Last edited:

Anibor_11

Reaction score
It depends on the computer. Usually they are both enabled by default. It´s common for the UEFI settigs to return to the defaults after an update - not a big deal to change them.

jvickers

Reaction score
It depends on the computer. Usually they are both enabled by default. It´s common for the UEFI settigs to return to the defaults after an update - not a big deal to change them.
Not on older motherboards, it seems. And mine was only two years old. Plus, you have to remember exactly how to change them. I suspect the novice user won't have a clue as to where to begin.

jvickers

Reaction score
A novice user shouldn't update their BIOS/UEFI unless told to by tech-support.
Agreed, but you know people. They read a little and get dangerous ideas into their heads. MSI motherboards make it so simple to update their BIOS nowadays as their software does it for them on reboot. You know people will do it even without technical support advising it. If you can ever get ahold of a live person in some companies that is. :oops:

Ask a Question