Nikon D5000 Camera Not communicating with Windows 11

cincywoman

Reaction score
I have a Nikon D5000 camera that will not talk to my Windows 11 laptop. The error message "USB device not recognized" comes up. I have tried updating the driver via device manager, uninstalling/reinstalling but the computer still cannot recognize the camera. Can anyone help with this issue?

Grizzly

Reaction score
One question: Why do you want your computer talk to the camera?? You have a SD card in there which can transfer your pictures much faster via a card reader than connecting the camera to your computer.
Another question: Have you tried to connect to a different computer?? If that is not working either, you might have a bad USB port on your camera.

Just spit balling here to see what sticks....

BTW: Your camera looks about the same as my Canon T3i, but mine is recognized by Windows 11 (I have never used the port on the camera but was curious about it after reading your post.

You might want to clean your USB port on the camera. Dirty contacts can cause a symptom like yours.

cincywoman

Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I've tried the two USB ports on my computer and they both do the same thing. I don't have a card reader. I will try a different computer to see if that works. I've always used the Nikon supplied USB cord to connect the camera to my computer. Never had this problem before. The fact that the error message says unrecognizable device tells me it is connecting just not recognized and it shows up as a USB device on the device manager list.

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
Sometimes I do get "USB device not recognized" error message when connect my Android phone, but it gets back fine on its own :D