Phantom CDRom Drive Keeps Returning

Herve

Reaction score
Whenever Windows 11 boots, it creates a phantom CDRom (drive letter L:). I delete it using the command mountvol L: /d and it goes away. Next time I start Windows it returns. It's not listed in Disk Manager. I tried changing the drive letter of another drive to L: and file explorer won't open. It doesn't seem to be cause any problem, it's just annoying to see it there.

vynski

Reaction score
Whenever Windows 11 boots, it creates a phantom CDRom (drive letter L:). I delete it using the command mountvol L: /d and it goes away. Next time I start Windows it returns. It's not listed in Disk Manager. I tried changing the drive letter of another drive to L: and file explorer won't open. It doesn't seem to be cause any problem, it's just annoying to see it there.
What your describing sounds like it may be the Windows 11 drive in the sky, your cloud drive.

Vote:

Herve

Reaction score
The problem was caused by a past trial of UltraISO. It seems that UltrISO creates a service that emulates a CD/ROM drive, but when I uninstalled the app, it left this service behind. When I found the service the other day and deleted it the issue stopped. It appears the uninstall process wasn't complete. I hadn't noticed it because I only tried the app for about 30 minutes before I deleted it.

Vote: