Power plan will not stay on Balanced

Richj44

Reaction score
I'm not sure when this started, but a few days ago I noticed that my CPU was not throttling down like it used to. It turned out to be because my Power Plan setting was on High Performance. I swapped it to Balanced, saw the CPU throttle properly, and forgot it for a few days. Then I noticed it doing the same thing. Same issue, I switched to Balanced and it worked properly. But about 5 seconds later, it switched back to High Performance.

I also tried just changing advanced settings so that the High Power plan matched the Balanced plan. While I was able to do that, it did not help and the CPU still does not throttle down properly.

I am not overclocking, and just to be certain I have reset my BIOS to default settings and the problem persists. I am not running any software or apps that have the ability to change that setting as far as I know. I tried using GPEdit to set the power plan to balanced, and it didn't help. Still changed back to High Performance. It seems I can't find any way to keep it from setting itself to High Performance, and I have no idea why it's doing it. At this point I have no idea what else to check and am hoping someone here might have an idea or two I can try.

Thanks in advance!

MSI Z590-A
I5-11400
32 Gb Corsair ram

Windows 11 build 22000.348 co_release

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you figured it out and resolved your issue.
Thanks for posting back and letting us know about your solution.

Third party software is often found to be at the root of some of these problems.
Especially, the motherboard manufacturers tools and utilities.
While I'm sure they are produced with the best of intentions they can often cause more problems than they could ever solve.

I can remember a few years back when some tweaking software supplied a particular motherboard manufacturer was producing BSODs (Blue Screen Crashes) that were very difficult to diagnose.

Vote:

Ask a Question