Reaction score
Home Windows
Skip to Topic Message
SATA Hard drives not visible.
Peterg29
Peterg29OCCASIONAL READER
‎Mar 21 2024 09:08 AM

SATA Hard drives not visible.
I have upgraded to Windows 11. Clean install. Operating system is on M2 SSD. After the upgrade only the M2 drive is visible. All of my other drives aren't accessible. They show in the BIOS but not in Device Manager or Disk Management. Bios is up to date. Serial ATA Controller in Device Manager shows error and will not allow an update. Tried to manually load SATA driver but no joy.

Having a backup drive that I can't access defeats the object. Any ideas to allow access to my other drives gratefully received.

(MSI MAG Z690 Tomahawk, Intel Core I5 - 12600KF)

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
Connect the drive, goto Device Manager and at the menu VIew -> Show Hidden Devices .. then remove everthing that has light gray (disabled devices) under Disk Drives and restart the computer .. try if the fix is success?

1711189360264.png

Grizzly

Reaction score
Serial ATA Controller in Device Manager shows error and will not allow an update.
This is what you need to fix first. Everything that is connected to this controller, will not appear at all. Is that controller an add-on card or tied to your mainboard?? If it is tied to your mainboard you need to get an updated driver from the manufacturers website.
the same way if it is an add-on card.
Might want to uninstall the SATA controller completely (including drivers) then restart the computer and let windows find the driver.

Ask a Question