Show Classic Mode registry change failed to restore classic start menu

voltan

Reaction score
I followed the instructions to edit the registry to add Start_ShowClassicMode with data value set to 1.
I restarted Win 11, but the start menu seems unchanged. No tiles. Is there a way that will restore the start menu classic mode? How?

I don't see a way to mark the thread as finished. This thread can be closed, as the change is apparently impossible.

Last edited:

davehc

Reaction score
The registry fix no longer works after an update.
I believe there are a couple of third party programs that can, though. Have a google

Vote:

voltan

Reaction score
Thank you.

FWIW, the word I added was at this location:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

Vote:

voltan

Reaction score
After more web searching, I found that the registry change was blocked by MS, so it no longer works. It is a pity, since the new start menu sucks.

Vote:

JoseG1313

Reaction score
Welp! I had made the changes about a month ago on my new laptop after it updated to Windows 11 and now that registry entry is gone.
I was considering going back to the new Windows 11 Taskbar and stuff but I guess not anymore. lol
I searched the entire registry for Start_ShowClassicMode and nothing is found. Wondering if it got renamed but I do not have another
Windows 11 machine to compare it with. I was able to center the Start Menu though. I never went back to the tiles. It had stayed at the
Windows 11 Start Menu after the registry change but I do now have the Windows 10 Taskbar which is what I wanted. Would have been
nice to be able to go back and forth just for a change every now and then.

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
After more web searching, I found that the registry change was blocked by MS, so it no longer works. It is a pity, since the new start menu sucks.
What is it, precisely, you find not so good, in the windows 11 start menu?
It is pretty much unchanged, with the irritating exception that you cannot shrink that appalling huge and, in my case, empty box, as you could in 10 -and of course, it now needs an extra click to get the menu.

Vote:

voltan

Reaction score
What is it, precisely, you find not so good, in the windows 11 start menu?
It is pretty much unchanged, with the irritating exception that you cannot shrink that appalling huge and, in my case, empty box, as you could in 10 -and of course, it now needs an extra click to get the menu.
I found nothing about the new start menu to be as it was in Win 10. I cannot place a tile in a location and expect it to remain there. I cannot place as many tiles as I want on the menu. I cannot display the menu full screen. The Win 11 menu is worthless as a menu, so it has to be used as a type in search for the application to be started. This requires the user to know the precise name of the item he wants to start.

Vote:

JoseG1313

Reaction score
What did you change in the registry?
I had gone to settings-personalization-taskbar-taskbar behavior and set it to left instead of center.
Then went to Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
and as per instructions added a new DWORD (32-bit) line, named it as instructed "Start_ShowClassicMode" and changed
the value to 1 and restarted machine and all worked fine. I now have the old Windows 10 Taskbar with all the info.
I did not do the changes for the start menu since I sort of like the new Windows 11 one and how shortcuts are added.
But being a support tech I wanted to change the taskbar back to the Windows 11 and figured all I would need to do is
change the value of that new line entry (Start_ShowClassicMode) to 0 or just delete it but it is no longer found. Searched all of
registry and it is not found so I cannot reverse changes probably without a restore of my system but this was over 2 months
ago that I made the changes. I am okay with how it is. Just wanted the option to go back and forth with the Windows 10 and
Windows 11 taskbar look.

** EDIT**
Okay, um, er...Never mind! I just realized I had installed this "ExplorerPatcher" which is what gave me the Windows 10 taskbar.
DUH me! I uninstalled it and it is back to the Windows 11 taskbar.
Glad it happened since I know someone else would have done this and now I know to ask about that "ExplorerPatcher"
Info on this patcher can be found here: https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher/wiki/All-features

Thank you all!

Last edited:

Vote:

voltan

Reaction score
I see. I guess you are talking about *pinned” area, not the “all apps” start list.
Yes. The all apps works like Win 10, but I found it to be slow. The thing I miss is the tiles.

FWIW I have also found that the search option on File Explorer does not work at all. I found instructions for resetting it and it would then work temporarily. Later attempts to search don't work.

Vote:

Scythe Bearer

Reaction score
What is wrong with the Windows 11 start menu?

I use my PC to mod and play video games. Each game has a set to tools which are used for creating new content. On the Windows 10 start menu, I could drop all of the tools and folders for a single game onto the start icon for the game (arranging them as I saw fit), creating a second level to the start menu which would contain all those tools and folders in one place. Convenient as < expletive deleted >.

Since this is not possible with Windows 11, I have to to stick all of the icons for tools and such on the start menu. That was 105 icons and the start menu became unusable. I wound up creating a file folder for each game with shortcuts to all the tools and file folders necessary, then creating a new folder of folders for all the game specific folders and putting that single folder on the start menu.

It is a kludge, and a lot of tedious work to create, but is works, sorta.

Last edited:

Vote:

voltan

Reaction score
Yes. The all apps works like Win 10, but I found it to be slow. The thing I miss is the tiles.

FWIW I have also found that the search option on File Explorer does not work at all. I found instructions for resetting it and it would then work temporarily. Later attempts to search don't work.
Curiously, after many weeks of not working, the search feature started working on Win 11. I have no idea why. Perhaps it was an update or something that was causing a conflict that went away. I use the feature often, so I am glad is now works.

Vote:

Ask a Question