TPM 2.0 required for Windows 11

jameswesthead

Reaction score
I use Win10 via my Gigabyte Aorus x570 Master Motherboard. It has a TPM 2.0 header, but no chip.
I have ordered the chip (the mobo manual gives its Gigabyte part number).
if I run the new W11 checker tool it tells me that my PC is unsuitable for Win 11.
But if I just enable TPM in the UEFI, the checker tool tells me that my PC IS SUITABLE for Win 11, DESPITE THER BEING NO TPM CHIP IN THE HEADER.
???

HenryTheTwelfth

Reaction score
I use Win10 via my Gigabyte Aorus x570 Master Motherboard. It has a TPM 2.0 header, but no chip.
But if I just enable TPM in the UEFI, the checker tool tells me that my PC IS SUITABLE for Win 11, DESPITE THER BEING NO TPM CHIP IN THE HEADER.
Intel CPU? It probably has PTT (Platform Trust Technology) that emulates the TPM 2.0. That's what I'm using, and just had to enable it in the UEFI. So you probably don't need that chip you ordered.

jameswesthead

Reaction score
No it's not Intel. It's AMD Ryzen 7 3700X . The TPM module I have ordered isn't expensive at £14, so if it should prove to be unnecessary, I won't be too bothered.

HenryTheTwelfth

Reaction score
No it's not Intel. It's AMD Ryzen 7 3700X . The TPM module I have ordered isn't expensive at £14, so if it should prove to be unnecessary, I won't be too bothered.
Okay, nice! I just looked it up and AMD calls their version fTPM (Firmware Trusted Platform Module). That's probably what you enabled and is now ready. But that wasn't a bad price you paid, and maybe a dedicated chip is faster? I have noticed that my boot time has increased 1-2 seconds after enabling the PTT and changing Secure Boot from Custom to Standard. So one or both of those things increased the boot time slightly. Maybe a dedicated chip is the way to go if you care about 1-2 seconds.

Michale32086

Reaction score
I did the appraiserres.dll change in the sources/ dir from an official WINDOWS 10 MS ISO...

Windows 11 still wouldn't install on a clean book, but when I ran setup.exe from my Windows 10 boot up, it installed fine..

I have installed it on my work computer and on my home gaming rig and it installed just fine

jameswesthead

Reaction score
Okay, nice! I just looked it up and AMD calls their version fTPM (Firmware Trusted Platform Module). That's probably what you enabled and is now ready. But that wasn't a bad price you paid, and maybe a dedicated chip is faster? I have noticed that my boot time has increased 1-2 seconds after enabling the PTT and changing Secure Boot from Custom to Standard. So one or both of those things increased the boot time slightly. Maybe a dedicated chip is the way to go if you care about 1-2 seconds.
Yes, thanks. Your informative and very welcome post made me look into my AMD CPU and you are right, its fTPM 2.0 that is embedded in there, and so that is the reason why the Windows 11 checker gave my PC a "pass". I have looked into the difference between the fTPM firmware situation and having the physical chip, and much of the info is highly technical, but it seems that the chip is faster than fTPM and in some way that I don't (yet) understand, is more secure, though whether the difference in security for a home environment is significant remains to be seen.
My TPM chip is on order from SCAN for £14 (I live quite near their shop), and when they notify me, I'll go and collect it (I always like looking round their shop).
Your comment about boot-up time is interesting...I do want faster booting, but I think that I have reached the speed limits of what my BIOS can do in that respect. I've also used the Autoruns64 app from SysInternals to stop all sorts of stuff once past the Bios. I noticed that in their publicity, Microsoft claim that Win11 gives faster bootup, but given the checks that TPM performs, your comments about increased boot times are what I expected. How that fits in with Microsoft's claims about faster booting????

jameswesthead

Reaction score
I did the appraiserres.dll change in the sources/ dir from an official WINDOWS 10 MS ISO...

Windows 11 still wouldn't install on a clean book, but when I ran setup.exe from my Windows 10 boot up, it installed fine..

I have installed it on my work computer and on my home gaming rig and it installed just fine
I'm not going to install Windows 11 until it has been formally released, and even then I will wait two or three months.

ICIT2LOL

Reaction score
Yes well my older Ivy Bridge has a TPM chip access but getting one is nigh impossible however even if I get one I suspect the CPU is not going to be compatible:(

Ask a Question