Uncorrectable sector count 200

ulookingatme

Reaction score
I was partitioning some HDDs over the weekend and installed Easus to do this, since then after reboot i get this come up for one of my hard drives.
It a WD Hard drive, is the drive on the way out or can anything be done, its around 10 years old, just used for film and tv show download storage.
Sentinal saying 84 days estimated remaining
Screens attached from Easus and HDDDScan and Sentinal

Attachments

• easedisc.jpg
    easedisc.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 13
  • hdddisc.jpg
    hdddisc.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Sentinal.jpg
    Sentinal.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 12

Grizzly

Reaction score
I'd say that your drive is on the way out and needs replacing. After all, according to Sentinel it has only 84 days left to live and it has run already for 10 years. Once bad sectors appear, they are like rabbits, they multiply in a short time.
Give them a proper burial.

ulookingatme

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, and seeing as its around 10 years old and mainly for media storage ill buy i new one rather then try to repair/recover.
Ive seen this one for £47 in Amazon
WD Blue 1TB Desktop 3.5" Internal Hard Drive, 7200 RPM Class, SATA 6 GB/s, 64MB Cache, 2 Year Warranty
My old one is a WD, they are still pretty good right or is there better alternative, my SSD port is already filled on my MB so only looking for internal HDD

Grizzly

Reaction score
I'd go with the WD BLACK instead of blue, not only because they have a 5 year Warranty instead of 2 years but the BLACK series have never failed me and my oldest that is still active is meanwhile 13 years old. Of course it can fail earlier, it is made by man after all.

You might consider the purple series. These drives are built to run 24/7 as they are made for Surveillance recordings.
The RED series are especially made for NAS devices which usually run 24/7 as well.

ulookingatme

Reaction score
I'd go with the WD BLACK instead of blue, not only because they have a 5 year Warranty instead of 2 years but the BLACK series have never failed me and my oldest that is still active is meanwhile 13 years old. Of course it can fail earlier, it is made by man after all.

You might consider the purple series. These drives are built to run 24/7 as they are made for Surveillance recordings.
The RED series are especially made for NAS devices which usually run 24/7 as well.
Thanks for the advice ill take a look at the black ones :)

Henk

Reaction score
This is what I understood:
Disk errors in a NAS configuration are handled by the NAS itself. WD Reds don't handle errors, others disks do. The error recovery of a non Red may take such a time that they are dropped by the NAS.

yodap

Reaction score
I would opt for an ssd for obvious reasons. Lighter, no moving parts and faster write times. They are lasting a lot longer than original predictions as well. And your usage doesn’t seem heavy but normal.