When an external HD fails?

needle

Reaction score
Even though I did lose my USB back-up drive, I also save all the drives that I can lay my hands on. Also, if I had used a HDD rather than a USB Drive might have been ok.

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
The world over, way too many external hard drives have hit the trash bin, because of a faulty interface.
And way too many sticks of ram memory have also been discarded just because they had dirt on them, shorting the legs of the memory chips together.
The lack of familiarity with such things has cost the PC owners of the world Billions of $'s.
I've personally saved my own customers thousands of dollars, just by knowing when to clean a stick of ram instead of replacing it with New.

needle

Reaction score
Way back in the day I used to clean contacts on memory and other cards with a pencil eraser. Things have improved since then thankfully. I recall having connector issues with my original VIC 20 and used a q-tip and alcohol. worked.

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
Actually, many technically minded PC owners/users have over the years turned to "Cleaning" of components to fix various conditions.
My own case was a little bit different. I had to do it professionally. Almost daily for several years, I worked for a company where I had to repair computer terminals, and terminal controllers, interfaced between terminals and an IBM 370 Mainframe. Many of those terminals were used in less than ideal conditions, that ranged from dirty to absolutely Filthy!
I saved my company millions of $'s, by cleaning plug-in cards instead of replacing them.
I used a little gadget from 3M called a Rust Eraser (no longer made) to lightly clean the gold edge connectors on Plug-In cards, or to clean the pins on 40 pin CPU chips. (Z80, etc.) Always followed by a wipe down with Denatured Alcohol.

My own secret to cleaning Gold Edge Connectors is to clean the Gold without removing it. Likewise on ram sticks.

Cheers Mates!
Shadow :cool:

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
Years ago, on a now gone forum, I started a thread titled "Wash that RAM!"
Before the introduction of the Surface Mounted memory chips, we had chips that had "Legs" on them that came out of the chip and then went down into the printed surface board. Just a little dirt between those pins could short them out and make the whole stick of ram fail.
Working as a PC service Tech, I've saved many a stick of ram that tested bad, by just washing it with soap and water, and an old toothbrush to scrub with. Then after a warm water rinse, I followed that with an Alcohol Rinse, to displace the water.

I've even 'Fixed' some plug in cards, like video cards, by just washing them.

Cheers Mates!
Shadow :cool:

Ask a Question