Windows loses activation after bios update, then refuses reactivation as claims license in use

opt33

Reaction score
I needed to update bios twice on new z690 msi unify x motherboard as still immature platform. Will need to in future as well. Both times the bios update inactivated windows 11 because of "hardware change"....there was no hardware change just updated bios. The second time, it wont allow me to reactivate.

Security updates are done via bios updates not that infrequently, businesses, etc that need security as well as homeowners should not be prompted to buy a new windows 11 license with each bios update. Is there any way to prevent this from happening?

rjb64

Reaction score
^^^^ Thats great that you have never had any issues....neither have I until this build.....and have been building custom enthusiast level builds since 2004....custom watercooling since 2013.
Thanks for letting me know yours was a clean W11 install (good info), but more interested in feedback from those folks running the new platform (Z690 w DDR5 Memory).

Enthusiast Level would be by the motherboard choice ...for Intel Asus mobo's any Maximus Board (Formula...Extreme...Apex etc)....the equivilant msi and gigabyte boards..Enthusiast used to be any HEDT platform but now HEDT has taken a back seat to Enthusiast Level Mainstream....honestly man we're not making this shvt up....I too have never seen Windows De-Activate after switching to the 2nd BIOS or flashing a bios....to spend hours on the phone with customer service...they couldnt fix it even after remoting in.....I gave up only cause the system ran fine with hours of gaming (just couldnt customize anything with it not being Activated).

And to clarify....yes it was previously Activated, then out of the blue De-Activated,

Then after 3 weeks it suddenly appears Activated !!!!!!

And yes, I purchased the digital license legitimately thru my MS Account (confirmed also by MS Customer Support a tad over $200 CDN ).....and I have found (as you can see in this Thread) a few also having or had the same issue.

My Hardware Primary Build:
12900K w EK Velocity2 Water Block
Asus Maximus Apex Z690
Corsair Dominator DDR5 32G 6000 C32
Evga 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra w EK Vector Full Cover Water Block
2 x Samsung 980 Pro Nvme Drives
1 x Samsung Internal SSD
1 x WD NAS
Corsair AX 1600i psu
9 X 120mm Rad space
Single D5 Vario pump

W11 Home Edition

Hardware Secondary Build (never any Activation issues with this build )
9900K w 240 AIO Cooler
Asus Maximus XI-Extreme Z390
Corsair Dominator DDR4 32G 3200 C16
Evga 1080Ti SC Black
1 x Samsung 970 Pro Nvme
1 x Samsung 860 Pro SSD
Corsair AX1200i psu

Windows 10 Home Edition

Last edited:

Vote:

Andrew2

Reaction score
And to clarify....yes it was previously Activated, then out of the blue De-Activated,

Then after 3 weeks it suddenly appears Activated !!!!!!
Yeah, and that's the part I'm questioning?

And I'm running Windows 11 Pro RTM (non-insiders). Upgraded from Windows 10 Pro with the same digital license I've had since moving to Windows 10 from Windows 7 some years back. Anyway, I might be new to this forum, but tis no rookie here, and I've been building custom rigs since 1998, with my last build in 2019 featuring a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Xtreme motherboard. Intel i9-9900K CPU, Corsair H115 Pro AIO cooler, Corsair Dominator DDR4 32G 3600 C16. 2 X Samsung 970 NVMe drives.

Also, I may be new to this forum, but tis no rookie here, and I have active accounts at Seven, Eight, Ten, and Eleven forums. I also have a number of builds posted throughout those forums.

Anyway, I'm not saying no one has the issue, I'm just saying it's unusual - activate, deactivate, reactivate 3 weeks later. Yeah, that's weird. BTW, I've not seen this reported at eleven forums, and many there are also running Z690 systems. Perhaps you should ask around there?

Last edited:

Vote:

Steven_K

Reaction score
RJB64, I just went through this same hassle myself. I have a 12900K and a Z690 Apex and Windows 11 Pro purchased from the Microsoft store. My Windows just showed it was no longer activated. I did some bios updates to try and resolve XMP issues so I assume this was the reason. I spent 14 days with support and spoke with 5 representatives before they finally gave me a new key to use and reactivate. It sucks because I still need to keep up with new bios updates and I am now afraid to flash knowing how much of a pain it is dealing with Microsoft support.

Vote:

Andrew2

Reaction score
Hmmm.... what an odd issue. I wonder if the deactivation issue you guys are experiencing is caused by the 690 chipset?

Has anyone gotten anything from Microsoft as to what they think it might be?

Vote:

Steven_K

Reaction score
I asked a couple of the reps I was working with. The first one told me "it was an issue with the activation server". The other just said it was "a known bug". This second one was the rep that finally gave me a key that worked again. I asked several of them to send me any info they had on what the problem was, but I never got a link to documentation or a real answer.

Vote:

rjb64

Reaction score
StevenK ....thanks man...reinforces the "exact" same issue as myself.....we even have the same Boards..dont think folks relaize how much we rely on flashing newer bios's on these new platforms, particularly with the issues around DDR5 and XMP support......here's exactly how mine went:
- Built this new Alder Lake system to replace Coffee Lake
- Installed W11 via USB Media Creator. (installed onto a Samsung 980 Pro M.2 Nvme 512G Drive)
- Installed all Z690 Apex Drivers (from ROG not Asus, so most up-to-date)
- Purchased the W11 Digital License thru my MS Account ($200 CDN approx)
- W11 Activated immediately via Digital License and linked to my MS Account
- Few weeks later updated my BIOS for better DDR5 support and realized afterwards that W11 was no longer Activated.
- Troubleshooter DID work to reactivate W11 selecting the option of "changed Hardware" (even though no HW change, just a newer BIOS version).
- Few weeks later switched my Apex Board to second BIOS and flashed that one to a newer BIOS, once again W11 no longer Activated!!!
- Could not re-activate W11 using troubleshooter as I did before.
- Many hours on the phone thru 3 levels of MS Customer Service and they could not figure it out, even the key they gave me didnt work.
- After almost 2 weeks of a "paid for but unable to re-activate" W11 OS I gave up and was not prepared to go thru hours again with MS customer service (complete waste of my time)!
- SUDDENLY....out of the blue...W11 appeared as "Activated", I had done nothing.

So yeah at this point Im stumped....I was almost going to try a complete clean install of W11 but was hesitant as the system is running great and gaming with no issues. Then it appears as Activated.

So strange....several custom builds going back to Windows XP and have never had an issue like this at all. Including far too many Motherboard BIOS flashes to count on several different platforms, with never an issue of Windows losing Activation.

At this point Im in the same position....reluctant to flash bios or even switch to the other bios on my Apex Board as I dont have any confidence my W11 License will remain Activated.

I'll likely bite the bullet moving forward and try it ....perhaps its a bug MS has sorted out....maybe why mine suddenly showed as Activated withut doing anything (other than MS Updates).....who knows....pita though as I switch between the bios chips on the board regularly and flash my bios regulary....

I even reached out to few members over at ROG Forum thinking it was more of an Asus Maximus Board issue, but no luck their..

Anyhow, Im chaulking it up as a W11 / Z690 chipset anomalie....

When I switch to the other bios on my Board or flash my bios I'll be sure to report back here whether I have the same repeat problem or if its all good.

Cheers

Last edited:

Vote:

NoNoBadDog

Reaction score
I would suggest that you flashed your motherboard with a BIOS that was for a different board than the one you own. That would account for it now declaring your windows install as invalid. I digital license is tied to your motherboard; if the information provided by the motherboard now says it's a different motherboard than the one you actually have, it would trigger the deactivation.

Vote:

Cannibal80

Reaction score
I had the same issue, today. I used the "change key" function in Windows activation settings and that worked. Also have aan MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4(MS-7D25). I do hope it will work a second time.

Vote:

fierce750

Reaction score
I have a MSI MPG Z690 Carbon Wifi DDR5 motherboard and suffered from the same issue yesterday.

I had a Issue with TPM 2.0 and Valorant not running because of TPM 2.0 (However everything was enabled)
So I narrowed it down to the Bios.

Updated to 1.70 and fixed the problem for Valorant HOWEVER,
I then noticed after I logged out that I had a Windows not activated on my Desktop ( it had been activated since 1/22/22 until now)
so I went to System settings Lo and behold my systems was no longer activated.

I ended up calling "Tech Support"
Where the agent said she found my code after remoting in but said I would need another activation code since something went wrong.
She sends me to level 2 or 3 support (I forget) where they told me they could not do anything about it since they could not see my Digital code attached to my account.
I told them well the last lady was able to, they told me after 1hour of being on the phone that there was nothing they could do and that I would need to get ahold of MSI and have them Warranty it..........

Useless and time wasted.

Vote:

Sir_George

Reaction score
I needed to update bios twice on new z690 msi unify x motherboard as still immature platform. Will need to in future as well. Both times the bios update inactivated windows 11 because of "hardware change"....there was no hardware change just updated bios. The second time, it wont allow me to reactivate.

Security updates are done via bios updates not that infrequently, businesses, etc that need security as well as homeowners should not be prompted to buy a new windows 11 license with each bios update. Is there any way to prevent this from happening?
Not sure if this will help, but maybe MSI's support center will have an answer.

Vote:

mdasifulhaque

Reaction score
I had the same issue with my MSI Z590 EDGE gaming wifi. After updating bios version 1.18, I lost my activation chance. I have tried "I have changed my hardware option, didn't help. To revert to the previous version, 1.17, and it's automatically activated.

Vote:

orgwi

Reaction score
same, I've seen this issue with z590 unify and z490 unfiy. can even reproduce it if on the z590 I switch to the other bios, and doesn't appear to resolve if you switch back.

Vote:

Ask a Question