Adding storage...

PA-WOODCHUCK

Reaction score
New dell PC has 1tb SSD PCIe Gen 4 x4 NVMe
options
1- add 2nd 2tb HD I currently have 2tb 6gb/s toshiba
2- add 2nd 1or2tb SSD PCIe Gen 4 x4 NVMe
2nd storage will mainly be used for files, documents, photos, etc. All apps, programs will be installed on drive 0.
how will data transfer speed between them?
What the +/- for option 1

thanks

Bighorn

Reaction score
For Option 1 I'd make sure the HD is 7200RPM, can make a difference versus 5400RPM.

For Option 2, I'd get the 2TB if affordable. In practice my second/data drive is always at least twice the size of the boot/system/Windows drive. And I have a 2TB RAID 1 NAS drive on my network, 2 x 2TB drives in it for 2TB storage. Raid 1 is mirroring one drive to another while RAID 0 is striping.
RAID 1 Mirror = lose one still have a copy [2 drives have total capacity = 1]
RAID 0 Striping = lose one all is lost [2 drives have total capacity = both]

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
Data Storage can be as simple or as complicated as you want to, and can afford to, make it.
But if a lightning strike runs in on your PC and blows it to he11, all the fancy on-board backups are lost.

So my own preference is to keep my immediately accessible data files, like my pictures, on a drive within my PC, but all my backups are OFF the PC, on backup drives, or Flash Drives.

The only truly SAFE backup is the one that is NOT on your PC.

I saw one case, some years ago, where the PSU (Power Supply Unit) totally lost regulation, and put out high voltage to every device in the PC, and basically FRIED everything. (In most switching power supplies, there it 150 vdc in there)
Chips on the motherboard actually exploded, and the drives smoked!
In a weird case like that, only OFF PC backups will save you.
So my best advise is to keep your on-board storage cheap and simple, and spend a little extra on our OFF PC storage.

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?
Shadow :cool:

Ask a Question