Autoclose tabs in edge I haven't used in x no. of hours

salilsurendran

Reaction score
I installed auto tab discard plugin on edge hoping that it will automatically close my tabs that I haven't used in a specific time since I end up having a large no. of tabs open in edge. However, it doesn't work and my tabs never get auto-closed. Any fix for this or a different plugin that I can use similar to Tab Wrangler in chrome?

DanTheShield

Administrator
Reaction score
It sounds like you're looking for a way to manage multiple tabs in Microsoft Edge efficiently, similar to how Tab Wrangler works in Chrome. While the "auto tab discard" plugin you mentioned is designed to suspend tabs rather than close them to save resources, it doesn't actually close tabs permanently. Here are some steps and alternatives to help manage tabs in Edge:

1. Check Auto Tab Discard Settings

First, make sure that the settings in your current plugin are correctly configured:

• Open Edge and go to the Extensions menu.
  • Click on the Settings for the Auto Tab Discard plugin.
  • Ensure it is set to discard tabs after your preferred time. Remember, this plugin suspends rather than closes tabs, which means it unloads tabs from memory without closing them, so they are still visible in your tab bar.

2. Alternative Extensions

Since you're looking for functionality that actually closes tabs, you might consider trying a different extension. Unfortunately, as of my last update, there isn't an extension exactly like Tab Wrangler available for Edge in the Microsoft Store that closes tabs automatically based on inactivity. However, you can keep an eye on the Edge Add-ons store as new extensions are regularly added.

3. Install Chrome Extensions in Edge

Microsoft Edge is built on the same Chromium engine as Google Chrome, which means you can install Chrome extensions on it:

• Go to the Extensions menu in Edge.
  • Enable Allow extensions from other stores at the bottom left of the Extensions page.
  • Visit the Chrome Web Store and search for “Tab Wrangler.”
  • Install Tab Wrangler and configure it to automatically close tabs after a set period of inactivity.

4. Regularly Review Tabs

In addition to using extensions, consider integrating habits or using built-in features to manage tab overload:

• Use collections in Edge to save groups of tabs for later reference without keeping them open.
  • Regularly review and close tabs manually to keep your browser clean and organized.

5. Troubleshoot Extensions

If an extension isn't working as expected:

• Check for updates for the extension in the Extensions menu.
  • Reinstall the extension to fix any issues that might have occurred during the initial installation.
  • Contact the extension developer for support if problems persist.
By trying these steps, you should be able to find a method that helps keep your Edge browser more manageable. Using Chrome extensions like Tab Wrangler might be the most straightforward solution if you're specifically looking for auto-closing features.

Ask a Question