Bitlocker whole drive instead of only used sections

MountainMike

Reaction score
I have a Windows 11 Pro Dell Vostro and am using Bitlocker encrytion. When running my backup program (Macrium Reflect Free) it tells me I should Bitlocker the whole drive rather than only the sections being used. Settings/Control Panel doesn’t seem to say how to do this.

To Bitlocker the whole drive will I have to turn Bitlocker off, and start afresh, or is there some way to Bitlocker the sections not already encrypted? Obviously, to start afresh is a fairly long process which I’d like to avoid if I can.

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
BitLocker is designed to encrypt an entire drive. Whether it be a system, data, or removable drive. It does not have an option to encrypt a single file or folder. To specifically encrypt a folder you may want to use 3rd party software.

:)

Vote:

MountainMike

Reaction score
Thanks. I should have noted what the message said (but didn’t!). On redoing the same backup procedure I’ve got the same message which I’ll attach. I’m not sure if this needs some action in Bitlocker or in Macrium Reflect Free.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG20230809173253.jpg
    IMG20230809173253.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 7

Vote:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
Noted. You can either start Bitlocker to encrypt the full drive backup for Macrium or proceed as the note says above. The reason of notification is the Macrium backed-up data will remain unlocked / unencrypted, means anyone has your Macrium backup data can access the portion of it.

Depending on user / your decision, if there's nothing important data's may proceed with backup :)

Vote:

MountainMike

Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I'm still unsure of what I need to do. When I go to Disk Management it shows only the "C" partition as being Bitlockered. There are 3 other partitions that don't say they are protected by Bitlocker. My question is, can I Bitlocker the other 3 partitions without having to unlock the encrypted "C" partition first and then do the lot again?

Vote:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
I don't think so you can "append" drives in Bitlocker .. It surely will ask user to un-lock and lock again all partition, start from scratch :)

Vote:

Ask a Question