Can I restore my registry using a backup of my C drive ?

mpooley

Reaction score
I use an app called Breevy. I was offered a trial of their new version but after using it for a month didn't want to keep it.
So I uninstalled the latest version ( without backing up the registry) and re-installed my old version.
Now It won't run because it is saying it can't find the Trial status !
I've written to the company but not had a reply.

Is there a way to restore the registry from by Macrium reflect backup from a month ago before I tried the new version?
I don't want to restore the whole drive in case it doesn't work and I'm left with a dead PC.

\any help would be most appreciated.

Mike

Bighorn

Reaction score
Trial status is quite similar to the old Shareware installations, if not purchasing but uninstalling there's always something left behind that prevents re-installing except after doing a clean reinstall of the Operating System.

The Registry is made up of 5 text files known as Hives, might be able to copy from a cloned drive but any misstep with the Registry can result in requiring a reinstall or inplace upgrade.

Maybe some help locating the Registry files in the backup?

EDIT: Just noticed a difference, the Registry shows 5 folders but the page referenced lists a 6th folder which is not shown in the Registry.

1681566946469.png

Last edited:

Vote:

Bighorn

Reaction score
Possible but one would need to be extremely careful. Be sure to have a second copy of data not wanting to be lost, anything that exists nowhere else. Downside of some backup programs is they compress things and direct access may not be possible.

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
Why should ‘t the macrium backup run.
If it was a complete backup, there is no reason to suppose itwill screw up your cimputer. You will then have to endure all the updates since, of course.
Do you have the Macrium autoboot usb?
If so maybe backup whatyou have first, even if it is not working at ptesent

Last edited:

Vote:

mpooley

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm worried because in the past I have had backups not work when I've restored a complete windows drive .
I backup every day so I'll always have more than one so I should feel confident but ... :(

Vote:

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
From 40+ years of experience, may I say, if you don't trust your backup/restore program to do a restore without trashing Windows, then you're probably using the wrong program. Time for a change.
(I've been using the DOS version of "Ghost", since 1998, and I trust it 100%) I've done dozens of Restores over the years with never a failure, as long as the HD itself was not bad.

If you're doing a total Partition Backup of C:, then the registry is being backed up too. In addition, you should always have your System Restore turned ON. Using that can be a Quick Fix, for those little boo-boos that happen occasionally. Not intended for major disaster recovery.

The best and safest backup is done from a Bootable media, when Windows and all its files are Closed. (just for safety)

Cheers Mate!
Shadow :cool:

Vote:

Ask a Question