Cursor sticking - Windows 11

cmfurgason

Reaction score
Cursor sticking or freezing just began today (9/5/21). It sticks or disappears then works again in a short while.

davehc

Reaction score
sounds like the computer is saving to something, rather too often, and does not have enough resources for the task.
Just for the test, try turning off onedrive and see if the problem persists

Vote:

cmfurgason

Reaction score
Davehc, I tend to agree with your point. It is acting as if Windows 11 was updating, but when I checked that wasn't the case. Checked Task Manager and there's hardly anything running. CPU - 1% Memory at 43% I thought it my be the result of new overnight push from MS for Win11.

Vote:

cmfurgason

Reaction score
Finally narrowed the problem to wireless mouse. I have a couple and both act the same. New batteries. Corded mouse works perfectly. I did have a PUP malware, but got rid of it and wireless mice still have a problem. Must be an update MS pushed. I'll keep a watch for new updates. In the meantime it's corded mouse for this machine. Thanks again for your good intentions.

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
LOL! Didnr think of the mouse side of the problem, I confess. The mention as of the cursor sticking. I have only just changed the battery on mymouse with exactly the same problem Stoopid!:mad:

Vote:

Garyw

Reaction score
Finally narrowed the problem to wireless mouse. I have a couple and both act the same. New batteries. Corded mouse works perfectly. I did have a PUP malware, but got rid of it and wireless mice still have a problem. Must be an update MS pushed. I'll keep a watch for new updates. In the meantime it's corded mouse for this machine. Thanks again for your good intentions.
I've had this issue a couple of times over the years. With my luck, once it was the mouse part of mouse / kb combo. The only cure I could find was buying a new mouse!
Gary

Vote:

cmfurgason

Reaction score
Cursor sticking or freezing just began today (9/5/21). It sticks or disappears then works again in a short while.
Through a lot of searching and reading, I believe I have found a resolve for my own problem:

cmd (admin)
DISM.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
sfc /scannow
chkdsk c: /f /r

Windows 11 no longer freezes.

Vote:

Callistemon

Reaction score
chkdsk is unsafe for data. It should only be used after backing up any important files to an external HDD, or creating a system image backup.

Vote:

cmfurgason

Reaction score
Time for me to eat crow. I was mistaken in that solutions above had solved my Windows 11 was freezing (but not the cursor). I spent an hour or so this morning Resetting Windows 11. The freezing problem was happening so frequently, I could barely get any work done. I chose to keep my personal files and am adding software back in slowly just in case one of them created the problem. Couple of hours back in Windows 11 and no problem so far. Have added two HP printers and MS Office 365. Taking it slowly. Will keep you posted on any findings.

Last edited:

Vote:

Ask a Question