Do you Really need Windows 11

davehc

Reaction score
I have been in and out of Windows 11 quite a lot. Just completed a thorough examination of the latest Beta, which is unlikely to change significantly before its final release.
What I find, imho, is an almost identical copy of Windows 10. A few settings items moved around.
Apart from the security "improvements" which, strictly speaking, have nothing to do with the os, but are mostly concerned with advanced hardware, which Windows 11 is making use of, what do posters find in Windows 11, which they could not in Windows 10.
If you post back, please, no "under the hood " stuff, just a practical observation.
I am not , at this moment, criticising Windows 11 - just a need to know thing, to convince me.

tpl

Reaction score
I have been telling and showing a few friends who are scared of Windows 11 that it is just a slightly different looking and slightly safer version of W10. And that for those with older PCs they don't have to even think about it until 2025.
These friends tend to be people my age who have not spent their whole working lives with computers as I have.

davehc

Reaction score
Tks. You can, of course, improve the security in windows 10,without MS help.

LOL. By the way, I suppose your logo is your age youngster. I am 87. Worked with and around computers since the first practical household varieties (maybe Sinclair. Sad, he died a couple of days ago)

tpl

Reaction score
I started work with computers in 1966. A flight simulator using a Ferranti Argus 300. Machine code.

And yes I am a mere lad, your eminence!

Grizzly

Reaction score
Beside the optical look, which resembles the MacOS design, and moving settings around, I cannot justify to make the change to
Windows 11. IMHO it is not worth the hype that is going around and I believe that this OS will flop unless MS opens it to a broader audience. The release timing is also very unfortunate as PC manufacturers struggle to make new hardware due to chip shortages all over the world.
I myself am not in a hurry to change

Garyw

Reaction score
, which resembles the MacOS design
That was my first impression of Windows 11.

I have been using computers since the late sixties, early seventies. The first one I owned was a Coco. In all of the various OS's I've used, I've gotten used to all of them, except W8 & W8.1. Hated them, especially the "corner" triggers.

Windows 11 is Windows 10 only locked down. It appears that most of the customization ability has been removed. It appears to be aimed primarily at out of the box users, not tinkerers. In other words, MS has taken all of the fun out of 11. I suppose though, if you can't modify it, you can't screw it up. What fun is that?
If you just want to browse, stream, or run canned software, it's fine, and so is Windows 10, no need for most consumers to upgrade, unless they want to.

HenryTheTwelfth

Reaction score
The OS can NOT "flop". It's here to stay, whether anybody wants it or not. Windows 10 will die in 2025. (Disclaimer: Unless MS caves-in to the whiners and extends support for Win10 to say 2027. But it WILL eventually DIE.)

Rod

Reaction score
That was my first impression of Windows 11.

I have been using computers since the late sixties, early seventies. The first one I owned was a Coco. In all of the various OS's I've used, I've gotten used to all of them, except W8 & W8.1. Hated them, especially the "corner" triggers.

Windows 11 is Windows 10 only locked down. It appears that most of the customization ability has been removed. It appears to be aimed primarily at out of the box users, not tinkerers. In other words, MS has taken all of the fun out of 11. I suppose though, if you can't modify it, you can't screw it up. What fun is that?
If you just want to browse, stream, or run canned software, it's fine, and so is Windows 10, no need for most consumers to upgrade, unless they want to.
I couldn't agree more. My impressions was it's nothing but Win 10 un-customisable and the big selling point is a taskbar, everything to me me is similar to an android phone

davehc

Reaction score
The opinions so far, pretty much echo my own feelings.
Interesting enough, but, in view of the lack of response to my " what do posters find in Windows 11, which they could not in Windows 10." I am assuming, as I have found -- Nothing with a large N.

davehc

Reaction score
"Windows 11. IMHO it is not worth the hype that is going around. "
I gotta agree with that!
Another forum I visit are almost out of control with the thought on Windows 11
see:
1632044158195.png

" I believe that this OS will flop"
Well, maybe flop is an extreme word. Modern youth will move forward, whatever the reason, to newer things - one of the many reasons for the global warming crisis. But, I digress.
I am sure that, whatever, it will be the principal desktop operating system in a couple of years.
Fwiw. Many government organisations where I live, are still happy Windows 7 users.

Last edited:

TheOldMarine

Reaction score
I, on the other hand, think most people will use Windows 11 when they get it on their new PC. I started with it on the "leaked" version, and am using both the Dev and the Beta versions. I boot with both along with my Windows 10 boot. (I have all three on three seperate M.2 drives). Then again, I actually liked Windows 8. Not as old as Dave, will be 81 in December. My computer usage goes back just after my stint in Vietnam. Late '69. It was in a TSQ-90 van. A Univac CP-808. Google it, it had a massive 64 Kilobytes of memory. To boot it required a "OP Step, Master clear, then Boot. Ah, those were the days, lots of flashing lights.

Cheers, and Semper Fi
Ray

Guybrush1966

Reaction score
Loving the varying opinions here guys. My take is, that Windows 11 is NOT better that Windows 10. Technically it may be, but aesthetically it's not. Explorer's right click menu is still buggy. The ribbon was way better in my opinion. The new start menu is a huge disappointment. It may be practical, but it is a step backward for me. I like live tiles, and it seems an odd choice as unless you're prepared to be battered by notifications, some Windows Store Apps will disappear into the background. I liked the new Windows 10 Start App with the Weather docked on the Taskbar and we've lost that too. I have an i7 6700K, which Microsoft says is not Windows 11 ready, but of course runs it flawlessly. All that said, I agree that Windows 11 is, and will be the way forward, because rightly or wrongly it will be thrust upon us. I still think there is time for them to backtrack on the CPU requirements. My Asus Motherboard is currently having a Windows 11 Bios produced (In Beta) and it doesn't supported included CPU's. It is faster, and as I am a Gamer, I will stick with it, but if you're just a basic Computer user, you're not really missing anything if you don't upgrade :cool:

davehc

Reaction score
?Stop there guys. Just opinions and personal viewso_Oi

fwiw. I must be in the “whiner” category:unsure: :eek:

Last edited:

That Fool Pool Man

Reaction score
The fact I can no longer drag an image off my desktop and over an app in my taskbar to 'trigger' that app to the front is INFURIATING. Windows kind of encourages you to use apps fullscreen and (this former Mac user of 3 decades) plays along -- and now 11 removes that feature.

Maybe I'll begin a new decade of Mac (yuck) if these sdaehtihs don't fix this fast.

Last edited:

Ask a Question