Folder Checkboxes are Permanent

Edwrd10

Reaction score
Since I installed Win 11 on my Dell Tablet I cannot get folder checkboxes to go away. I have checked the Folder Options Menu and the option to use Checkboxes is 'Unchecked" So I checked it hit apply, then I unchecked it again and hit apply and still all folders still have checkboxes. I re-installed a clean full version of Win 11 Pro, keeping nothing. And still all folders have checkboxes. I cannot figure out how to get rid of the folder checkboxes. Does anyone know how to get rid of the folder checkboxes?

Edwrd10

Reaction score
I have same issue -- looking to find where it is stored in registry and check the value
checked my registry entries and values were Zero. I also tried a DOS command line and it didn't work. I think its the way it installed. There seems to be no way to resolve this one. First time I installed Win 11 as an Upgrade and Checkboxes were there. So, I re-installed Win 11 and chose the Keep Nothing Option and did a clean install and still Checkboxes are there.

Vote:

weshigbee

Reaction score
I have the problem too, not too much research yet other than it's not responding to options for a specific window I open (in different folders too)... might be a bug.. i set the setting off a long time ago and yet the checkboxes resurfaced (possibly after the last update).

Vote:

Edwrd10

Reaction score
I built a new Win 11 desktop PC and there are no checkboxes. Only my Dell tablet has permanent checkboxes. Both were done as a clean install. So why does My Dell Tablet Have permanent checkboxes, but my new desktop install of Win 11 is OK, no checkboxes? It's a mystery. I wonder if Microsoft reads these Forum posts. I have also gave feedback on this checkbox problem several times. It is some kind of an install glitch.

Vote:

dona

Reaction score
You can gohere and remove the checkboxes :
View -> Show -> Item check boxes => remove the checkmark here

1638380577441.png

Vote:

dona

Reaction score
Yes, you're right, I have seen many people having the sane problem. What's worse is that there are groups of users having different problems with Windows 11, this is bad enough. Like I have something reported by other users too : when placing the mouse cursor on the taskbar and moving it in different regions of the taskbar, in the empty region i mean, well, this shows phantom tooltips of the icons from the far right portion of the taskbar, more precisely the tooltips for the system icons.
The fact that different problems can be produced only in some environments would make it even more difficult to be fixed.
Like the checkboxes isue, it does not occur on my Win11, I tried it and it behaves properly. But not for you and other people.

Last edited:

Vote:

Scott_VR1

Reaction score
I am also having the same problem with checkboxes unable to remove them from desktop icons, tried all the suggested things from posts above, still nothing removes them, has anyone had any luck in solving this issue

Vote:

Ask a Question