Google Drive??

hawkeye62

Reaction score
I have a new HP x360 Spectre laptop running Windows 11 Home. I am in the process of setting it up. Everything has been going well. BUT, I tried to download a program file. I got a pop up that said the file is two large for Google Drive to scan. The download was aborted. My question is, where did Google Drive come from? I have used every way I can think of, including regedit, to search for Google Drive on my laptop. I don't want Google Drive on my laptop and sure don't want it to prevent me from downloading files. I know the file I was trying to download is OK, I have downloaded it several times before.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Regards, Jim

Grizzly

Reaction score
Do you use Chrome browser by chance?? Might want to setup your download folder locally instead of Google drive, I dunno know, just guessing.
I have not experienced this symptom yet, but I am using Windows 11 Pro not Home.
Maybe, just maybe your browser got already hijacked and your downloads are rerouted. Just guessing again but it sounds logical

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
Hello & Welcome,

At first try to see in Program & Features if the Google Drive is listed in there.IF so, you may want to uninstall it. GDrive is not included by default in W11, you may have accidentally accept some link for it to be installed in the computer and else of that failed, tru using https://crystalidea.com/uninstall-tool/download this uninstall tool to seek for any "hidden" installation of Googlr Drive.

Please post result. TQ​

Sir_George

Reaction score
I have a new HP x360 Spectre laptop running Windows 11 Home. I am in the process of setting it up. Everything has been going well. BUT, I tried to download a program file. I got a pop up that said the file is two large for Google Drive to scan. The download was aborted. My question is, where did Google Drive come from? I have used every way I can think of, including regedit, to search for Google Drive on my laptop. I don't want Google Drive on my laptop and sure don't want it to prevent me from downloading files. I know the file I was trying to download is OK, I have downloaded it several times before.

Regards, Jim
My guess is you are using Google Chrome, if that's the case...

Take the following steps to change the download location in Google Chrome:
  1. Click the icon with 3 lines on the top right hand corner of the browser next to the URL bar
  2. Click Settings
  3. Click Show advanced settings and scroll down to the Downloads section
  4. Do one of the following steps:
    • Click the Change button to set a new default location
    • Click Ask where to save each file before downloading to manually select the location each time you download a file
  5. Close the Settings tab

hawkeye62

Reaction score

Regards, Jim

I have already tried the usual methods of removing applications. I even went into the registry. Google Drive doesn't show up. I do have the Google Browser installed, but only use it when Edge is having problems with a site. Maybe I will uninstall it and see what happens.

Regards, Jim

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
Try with IOBit Unistaller .. or Crystal Idea Uninstall Tool, both of it will scan for hidden installed apps in the system as well rather than manually playing with regitry. Unnecessary registry alteration can cause system problem.

Sir_George

Reaction score
I have already tried the usual methods of removing applications. I even went into the registry. Google Drive doesn't show up. I do have the Google Browser installed, but only use it when Edge is having problems with a site. Maybe I will uninstall it and see what happens.

Regards, Jim
Your original post stated you were trying to download an app. Your new post states you are attempting to remove applications; which is it?

hawkeye62

Reaction score
Both! I was trying to download an app and Google Drive wouldn't let me. Then I was trying to delete Google Drive and it doesn't exist on my laptop. At least, I can't find it.

Regards, Jim

Sir_George

Reaction score
Both! I was trying to download an app and Google Drive wouldn't let me. Then I was trying to delete Google Drive and it doesn't exist on my laptop. At least, I can't find it.

Regards, Jim
Check the link below for information regarding removing Google Drive.

hawkeye62

Reaction score
The link for removing Google Drive is the same as other "removal" sites I have tried, more than one. I am at wits end! I checked my installed browsers and I don't have Google installed. The two browsers are Edge and Fire Fox.

Regards, Jim

Sir_George

Reaction score
The link for removing Google Drive is the same as other "removal" sites I have tried, more than one. I am at wits end! I checked my installed browsers and I don't have Google installed. The two browsers are Edge and Fire Fox.

Regards, Jim
To be sure Google browser is not installed on your computer, have you tried using a 3rd party app to locate any instance of it? "Everything" is a small app that will locate any instance of Google. It's free and you can download it at the link below. This is just a suggestion and it may help.

Xploit Machine

Reaction score

Regards, Jim​

Just follow the seniors advise here, and the guides from them will not change track .. Google has nothing to do with Microsoft's W11.
We don't know which ISO from 3rd party .. that you have installed as from original ISO from Microsft website has no add-ons from Google .. I observed all your replies but you don't seems to get with it, just get the original ISO from Microsoft website and fresh install else .. keep shut!

Important note to others - Plesase provide screenshots (picture tells thousands of words) and those whom keen to help is not God to see you computer's issue

hawkeye62

Reaction score

Just follow the seniors advise here, and the guides from them will not change track .. Google has nothing to do with Microsoft's W11.
We don't know which ISO from 3rd party .. that you have installed as from original ISO from Microsft website has no add-ons from Google .. I observed all your replies but you don't seems to get with it, just get the original ISO from Microsoft website and fresh install else .. keep shut!

Important note to others - Plesase provide screenshots (picture tells thousands of words) and those whom keen to help is not God to see you computer's issue
Gosh!! What great advice! Just reinstall Windows. Why didn't I think of that. If you can't offer real advice, just be quiet.

Reaction score
You obviously have installed some google apps or software to your PC. The issue for me is the sites one use to download software as there are all sorts of high jacked programs installers that have extra software bundled with it.

Then you have browsers extensions to deal with.....some good and some bad.

Now, in all seriousness, most people (users) don't want to spend the time and effort to track down the culprit(s). And a quick OS refresh saving data or a complete factory clean install is the preferred option. Nowadays a clean install is done in less then 15 minutes. Then an hour reinstalling software, but usually 30min or less.

Especially, with installing from usb 3.0 flash drive or other faster install media.

My advice, since I don't know the particulars of your PC, is to clean install. It sure seems you have more underlying issues then what's showing.

Good luck

Ask a Question