How to allow an application to run without admin PIN with UAC

D5taR

Reaction score
I have setup my son's computer which has RGB fans. The RGB Fusion software that controls the colours pops up a User Access Control dialogue when it is launched where I have to enter the Admin PIN to allow it to run.

Is there a way I can set this application to be allowed to run without asking for the admin PIN? I would also need it to run without a PIN on startup as well as when opened manually.

I thought this may help: User Account Control: Only elevate UIAccess applications that are installed in secure locations, but the application is already in `…\Program Files (x86)\` so that is not the solution.

Thanks

RogerOver

Reaction score
Probably you already have a shortcut to your software somewhere. Then go directly to step 2.

1. You can also create a shortcut to your desktop. (Do you know how to do that? Go to the .exe file of RGB fusion in your RGB fusion folder, rightclick on it and choose "create shortcut". It will either create a shortcut in your RGB folder or tell you that it can't create it there and ask you to put the shortcut on your desktop).

2. Rightclick on the shortcut and chose: "Properties", and you will directly land within the "Shortcut"-tab (... if not chose it). In the Shortcut-tab chose "Advanced". A new window will open. Tick the box "Execute as administrator". Click "ok" close and enjoy the next time you are clicking on the shortcut !

You can also set the UAC to the silent mode for all your software with this nice little program: https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/tweakuac.html (works on Windows 11). Install it and "set UAC to the silent mode". Don't "turn UAC off". You should just be aware that this is for all your installed programs.

Vote:

RogerOver

Reaction score
Sorry I hadn't read your question concerning startup !
If you want to run the software as administrator in startup, either copy the above shortcut to:
C:\Users\USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup (only for a certain user, replace "USERNAME" in the link by the real username)
or to:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup (for all users)

Vote:

D5taR

Reaction score
Probably you already have a shortcut to your software somewhere. Then go directly to step 2.

1. You can also create a shortcut to your desktop. (Do you know how to do that? Go to the .exe file of RGB fusion in your RGB fusion folder, rightclick on it and choose "create shortcut". It will either create a shortcut in your RGB folder or tell you that it can't create it there and ask you to put the shortcut on your desktop).

2. Rightclick on the shortcut and chose: "Properties", and you will directly land within the "Shortcut"-tab (... if not chose it). In the Shortcut-tab chose "Advanced". A new window will open. Tick the box "Execute as administrator". Click "ok" close and enjoy the next time you are clicking on the shortcut !

You can also set the UAC to the silent mode for all your software with this nice little program: https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/tweakuac.html (works on Windows 11). Install it and "set UAC to the silent mode". Don't "turn UAC off". You should just be aware that this is for all your installed programs.

Thanks for the info. I'd already tried changing the permissions to run as administrator but it was still asking for the UAC pin to be entered. Does it make any difference that it's a child's account and we use the family safety app to control what they can do? Interestingly when setting it to run as admin I was expecting it to ask me to authenticate but it's not asking for anything. I'm making the changed as the child's account that we want to be able to run the app.

Vote:

D5taR

Reaction score
When I run the application the dialogue says the following:
User Access Control
Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?
RGBFusion
Verified publisher: GIGA-BYTE TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD.
File origin: Hard drive on this computer
Program location: "C:\Program Files (x86)\GIGABYTE\RGBFusion\RGBFusion.exe"
To continue, enter an admin username and password.
This is with the app set to run as an administrator as explained above.

Could there be something else that also needs changing?

Thanks

Vote:

RogerOver

Reaction score
(But I agree with the commentators (or one of them): ways too complicated !

Vote:

D5taR

Reaction score
Just for testing purposes: what happens if you run the app as "Trusted Installer", for instance with RunX: https://www.d7xtech.com/free-software/runx/
Thanks, I went through the process but then could not create it at the end. I then noticed that I need to be logged in as an admin to create one so will need to try again.

Although I'm not sure if it will work at all in my situation as it says:

You must be signed in as an administrator to create and use this elevated shortcut.

I guess this means you need to be an admin to run it? The account I want to use this on is not an admin and can't be one either.

Vote:

D5taR

Reaction score
(But I agree with the commentators (or one of them): ways too complicated !

So I just tested this. In an Admin account this works fine, I create the shortcut and can run the program without a UAC prompt. However when I move this shortcut to the non-admin user account and give them full permissions it opens the shortcut fine but then does nothing, doesn't open the RGBFusion app.

I thought this would be something fairly easy to do but it's turning out to be a royal PITA.

Vote:

alan sh

Reaction score
If you are not running with admin privs, you will get this every time as a non priviliged user must be authenticated somehow to run priviliged apps.

Vote:

D5taR

Reaction score
If you are not running with admin privs, you will get this every time as a non priviliged user must be authenticated somehow to run priviliged apps.
That's frustrating, so that application is useless for my son as he's not an admin user? Unless I'm there to type in the admin PIN each time he opens it.

That's not very good of Gigabyte as it doesn't even save the chosen colours of the RGB fans, you have to open up the app on each boot up in order to have the chosen colours turned on. By default they are always orange. You would have though the colour settings would have been saved on the motherboard so you don't need to run the app all the time.

Vote:

Ben Myers

Reaction score
See if this is helpful.

Also, the instructions say to enable the hidden administrator account, but if you already have an active administrator account on the computer, you may be able to use that one.

Ben

Vote:

Ask a Question