I have Questions about a new build for Win 11

Edwrd10

Reaction score
What is Optane memory and how does it work and do I need it? I am looking at an ASUS Z590-E Motherboard. It has support for Optane Memory. I do not know anything about Optane memory. I haven't built a PC in 3 years, so I have to catch up.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I do not know anything about Optane memory.
Me either, although I caught some mention of it, while I was researching a recent new build that I constructed for Windows 11.
So I did a little more research and my basic understanding is that it works as a non-volatile cache area where data is stored, consisting of information that it determines based on its' own algorithm, your systems uses with some frequency (startup files and the like).
I looked at an article from How To Geek (one of my trusted resources)...
BUT then I noticed that it was from 2017. Thinking that it must have evolve to a more robust resource over 4 years or so
SO I read this something a bit more recent

Turns out it hasn't evolved all that much, at least not so far, on the consumer side of things.
Basically, you can have either a 16 or 32 Gig cache that is apparently much faster with respect to access times
Which will as I understand will benefit performance when it comes to System start times and I suspect for those gamers amongst us better in-game response times.
SO...
IF you're considering building a high end, screaming rocket you'd want to consider adding it to your build.
BUT...
If your reading emails, browsing the web and social media you could probably safely skip it.

Ask a Question