Is it 10 or is it 11?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You're on the latest version and build released to the public (not a preview although I think the beta might be the same currently not sure)

Capture.png
As far as the Windows Feature Experience Pack....
Microsoft is a little vague on that
You can read this but it doesn't actually solve the mystery

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Experience Pack = 120.2212.3920.0
Further on your specific experience pack....
Looks like it was offered back in June and applied to Windows 10, so if you installed Win 11 as an upgrade that may explain why yours differs from mine which is a Custom Clean Install.

davehc

Reaction score
As you said earlier, Trouble. A bit vague. Only me, but I do interpret it that it is Windows 10 with windows 11 bits thrown in for testing.

davehc

Reaction score
:unsure:Finally tracked this down (howtogeek)

“As of Windows 10’s October 2020 Update at the end of 2020, you should ignore the “Experience” line in the Settings screen and forget about the “Windows Feature Experience” for now. It doesn’t really mean anything.

Its presence is an artifact of Microsoft’s development process: The company is always experimenting internally, and signs of that experimentation are appearing in the released versions of Windows 10. This information may be important for Microsoft engineers who are experimenting and troubleshooting, but it doesn’t mean anything to Windows users outside Microsoft.

Now wouldn’t it be nice if Microsoft just came out and said that publicly?”
Not authorative, but a lead into what it is all about:rolleyes::sleep:

davehc

Reaction score
Just discovered that my system also shows that I have I always look under winver, as a habit, but the system does, indeed, show the so-called experience pack.
1634357957744.png

Interesting info, even if I am still confused as to Microsoft's intentions. Unfortunately it doesn't help at all with MrGlenns current problem.

MrGlenn

Reaction score
Think I now more or less have 11 up and running reasonably OK (ish). It would be nice if the task bar didn't look exactly like win 10 (rather liked the idea of having it in the middle), and would be even nicer if that pesky START button & the Search box worked. There are ways to work around them of course, but that's not really the point. As far as I can make out, everything else APPEARS to be working OK, although the time taken from login screen to desktop does seem to be taking a lot longer than windows 10 did. Onwards and upwards!

davehc

Reaction score
Not good enough. We have got to get those two items working!
I am out of ideas, except my bring usual - Ireinstall.
fwiw
This morning, I have been busy helping two old dodders like me. Both not full competent it guys!
One. Clean install
Two. Install keeping settings.

Hassle getting there setting to their likes, now ok!

MrGlenn

Reaction score
I have litterally dozens of app's etc that would take many days to re-install and set up etc. Not sure my old brain / body could cope with that again - the very thought threatens to give me (another myocardial infarction!) heart attack! Clean install out of the question if it can be avoided at all costs!

HenryTheTwelfth

Reaction score
I hear ya. Literally days for me as well, then weeks to get every tiny little setting back the way I want it. Googling like crazy for each little setting, and of course forgetting some and only happening upon them by chance. They really should make a centralized location for ALL settings. Having to hunt them all down in 100 different places is just so time-consuming. I haven't done a clean install in almost three years now, and I'm not about to start now. :LOL:

davehc

Reaction score
A clean install - keep settings and data - as I have said, always has worked for me

HenryTheTwelfth

Reaction score
But that would just be a re-install. A clean install is wiping everything, something I try to avoid now.

davehc

Reaction score
Whatever. I have described how I do it - successfully. My own interpretation only, Definitely worded very wrongly, is installing from scratch with a usb or device in the initial boot, using a downloaded ISO. - But keeping either or settings and data
If MrGlenn was as successfully as I have been - several installs on incompatible computers - then all of those programs would be intact.
A rider - I keep regular Macrium images so disasters are not something that worries me too much

Last edited:

MrGlenn

Reaction score
Just unbelievable. As I said almost everything was running smoothly. I rarely turn off the PC, prefering to put it in sleep mode overnight. Thats what I did last night. I have not installed anything and neither have I uninstalled anything. Made no changes to any settings either (at least not since I got it running more or less acceptable). Wake it up this morning, and the Right click (on desktop) has once again ceased to function - even to the point of closing any windows that are open. Yet it was working just fine last night. I've heard of bugs in the software, but I swear this one is alive and kicking - and kicking hard!

MrGlenn

Reaction score
Fixed that one - had to delete a couple of bits in the registry. And it all started working just fine again. Going to make a not of what I did and save for future reference! Screenshot shows what you should be left with - NOT what to delete!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 6

Garyw

Reaction score
This bit Windows 11 Pro - 21H2 - OS Build = 22000.258 is the same as the rtm. I am not sure, but I think the experience build is in the beta category.

This is all that shows in mine (Type winver in the "Run")

View attachment 173
Maybe not. My W11 started out in the Insider program. After I removed this system from the Insider program, it was never converted to the RTM version. Anyway, my Windows Feature Experience Pack is much different the the OP's.

1634589917618.png

The above is from Settings>System>About.

MrGlenn

Reaction score
Well, enough is enough. Just been trying (well since last night actually) to install the latest MS Flight Sim update, but it instructed me to update in MS Store first (Thats normal). What's not normal is the dozen or so attempts to get the store to find any updates! Someone said sign out then sign back in - it wouldnt let me sign back in. Neither would that irritating XBox thing. I tried a couple of suggestions but in the end I did it - I rolled back to windows 10. And when the dust had settled MS Store immediately installed 5 updates and I am now waiting for FS to finish doing it's thing. Windows 11 can take a hike for a year or two!!