Jump List Files

ipodsync

Reaction score
Right clicking on an app in Windows 10 would present a list of recent files and the ability to pin commonly used files. Windows 11 seems to have removed this functionality without providing anything equivalent. This is a feature I use constantly every day and without something equivalent, I don't think I would upgrade to Windows 11 due to efficiency losses. The closest thing that Windows 11 has is the recent items in the start menu, but this is useless because it's everything and not specific to individual apps.

Does anyone know how to enable this in Windows 11 or recommend some kind of equivalent functionality?

2021-10-04_9-14-52.png

GraniteStateColin

Reaction score
This has been my biggest question before moving to Windows 11 too. Are the Jump Lists missing from the Taskbar and the Start Menu, or just from the Start Menu?

Jump Lists are my primary way to access files across all the different applications. I completely agree that a generic list of recent documents is no substitute, because it's too few files and they lack any organization.

Last edited:

ipodsync

Reaction score
They will work in the taskbar and the all apps list, but only if you have the recent list turned on. They do now work for pinned apps in the start menu.

GraniteStateColin

Reaction score
Thanks. That's a big relief. That may be enough to let me move over to Windows 11. I'll still miss Live Tiles and grouping my icons on Start to make them easy to find, but hopefully, Widgets will perform at least most of the Live Tile functions and I'll get used to typing the first few letters of the app I want or browsing through All Apps when I want to launch something more obscure... hopefully...

Ask a Question