Macrium Reflect & bitlocked partition

ljdarby

Reaction score
I am new to use of Macrium for imaging since my recently purchased used Surface Pro 7 does not work with Acronis True Image that I have used for years on my desktop. My system boots very slowly to the Acronis boot disc & upon fully booted, the mouse is frozen & cannot be moved, clicked, etc.

When trying to create an image with Macrium its display screen shows 4 different partitions on my onboard SSD drive, one of which is highlighted in red as being bitlocked. When running the actual imaging process, the software gags on creating that image ostensibly because it is bitlocked. If I rerun the imaging process after unclicking the bitlocked partition, it runs flawlessly.

Problem: I do not have the security key to unlock the bitlocked partition. Question- outside of trying to restore this image (less the bitlocked partition) & finding out it was mandatory to the successful restoring the image, any way to determine if this distantly located (all the way to the right on the display & labeled 4) partition is critical to the restoration & without it, the image is useless for restoration?

RogerOver

Reaction score
Hi,
could you show us a screenshot of Macrium?
Is it a FAT 32 partition ? Then it is very likely the EFI boot partition and this one IS critical

But you say when you are unchecking the red partition, the backup goes through. Normally when you chose the second option in the backup (the one with the black icon, see screenshot, not the first one), Macrium should issue a warning if you did not tick all the partitions necessary to correctly restore Windos later.

But I give NO guarantee. (I have a dual boot and it's perhaps only because the boot partition is on the other disk that the warning appears, I do not know for sure).

There are also free softwares that do allow you to have a peek into the partition, f.i. "Mini Tool Partition Wizard". (When installed rightclick the partition and chose: "Explore").

And finally: if you created a rescue Disk with Macrium, and you boot from the Rescue Disk, Macrium has an option to recreate the boot menu. If you click on the "Rescue" icon (left above, "Secours" on my computer), you can also create the rescue environment directly on your computer (you will have a further boot entry). It work with the Windows PE Environment.

Good luckCapture.PNG

Last edited:

ljdarby

Reaction score
Correct about getting a warning about not having all required data for imaging when unchecking the bitlocked partition. Since this is a machine purchased used, I think I will format the SSD drive & start over with a clean install as I own a legit Win11 Pro version, then use Macrium for future imaging after at first trying to use Acronis on the new build. I still do not understand why Acronis opens (albeit very slowly), but mouse refuses to move & my outboard keyboard also refuses to respond.
Thanks for your input & suggestions.

RogerOver

Reaction score
Don't know. I would have said, that it might be a driver problem (for your mouse and keyboard), ... but as you also say that Acronis is opening very slowly, there seems to be something else. Did you try to reinstall Acronis ?

Ask a Question