Mouse and touchpad not working

Richard58

Reaction score
Hello, first post here, Windows 11 not S mode, Acer Aspire 5 laptop. Used the laptop this morning, everything worked fine. Turned it off, did chores, came back and turned it on. I had previously turned off the touchpad because I rest my hand there. I use a cordless mouse and cannot get the cursor to display. I tried 3 batteries, no go. Could be a defective mouse. So, I plugged in a mouse from my Windows 7 desktop, no cursor display. The laptop shuts off and back on fine. I can't add a device since I don't have a mouse to click on "Add Device". Any suggestions, thank you? I cannot click on restart, but can shut it off and back on.
update -- was able to get into Bluetooth and Devices and turn on the touchpad (I used the tab button) -- but there still is no cursor. Also, I was able to see the properties for the cordless mouse, and it says "this device is working properly" -- still no cursor.

Last edited:

Bighorn

Reaction score
On nearly all Notebooks/Laptops there is a key combination of Fn plus another key, one of the F keys, that toggles the Touchpad On or Off, my wife has the same issue with her thumb doing things unexpected and uses a Wireless mouse.

For Wireless mice, they are keyed to the little dongle they came with, can't be interchanged among others. The newer Logi/Logitech sets, mouse and keyboard, are different with their Unifying dongle.

I mostly use Bluetooth mice, their wireless is part of the Wireless/Wi-Fi adapter.

Richard58

Reaction score
oops, since I'm new here, didn't know how to receive your message -- but did get it 55 minutes later. I pressed Fn and F7 and the laptop cursor is up and running. I deleted the driver for the Logitech mouse, but can't seem to reinstall it -- working on that now. I really like having the wireless mouse. I will probably look into getting a Bluetooth Mouse. Thank you.

Ask a Question