Newly created desktop shortcut disappears with every boot

ljdarby

Reaction score
As far back as Win7, I have been using the following created desktop shortcut for Windows Explorer to open my favorite directory (Larry) within explorer.exe. The shortcut is given here: c:\windows\explorer.exe /n, /e, E:\Larry
Having recently upgraded to Win11 Pro from Win10 Pro, I find that this desktop shortcut disappears at every bootup. As a test, I have copied the newly created shortcut to both my taskbar and the start folders- on bootup, all three locations show NO shortcut. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem which never appeared in Win7 nor Win10?

Solution
To you who offered advice and expertise on resolving my problem, thanks. Removing the N & E switches solved my problem completely it seems. Two days of many reboots without a single problem with my explorer shortcut. Many thanks...

davehc

Reaction score
I am not familiar with exactly how you create the shortcut?
What I do, say in your computer, is open explorer and right click "Larry" and drag it to the desktop, creating the shortcut when the text appears?
I have it now, whilst I write, from my own username

Vote:

ljdarby

Reaction score
I am not familiar with exactly how you create the shortcut?
What I do, say in your computer, is open explorer and right click "Larry" and drag it to the desktop, creating the shortcut when the text appears?
I have it now, whilst I write, from my own username
See the second line of my original question- I want "Larry" to pop up on activating explorer because that is my download directory and where I place all ongoing present and future projects/programs/apps. The string is years old, stated previously, I have been using it without fail thru at least 3 versions of Windows.

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
As I said - I cannot quite see the purpose of the "n" and "e" ?
By dragging to the desktop, this is all I have:

C:\Users\David

Vote:

Sir_George

Reaction score
As I said - I cannot quite see the purpose of the "n" and "e" ?
By dragging to the desktop, this is all I have:

C:\Users\David
See the link below for an explanation of the switches.

Last edited:

Vote:

ljdarby

Reaction score
To you who offered advice and expertise on resolving my problem, thanks. Removing the N & E switches solved my problem completely it seems. Two days of many reboots without a single problem with my explorer shortcut. Many thanks...

Vote:
Solution

Ask a Question