OneNote confusion

Mickey52

Reaction score
I have two version one for Home and student 2016 and one for Win10. I use this app alot. There is talk that Win10 is going away late 2025. Will my Home and student 2016 ago away also?
Also, I have heard OneNote for Windows (Win11) will never go away, do I need to download OneNote for windows app to make sure I will have this app forever? and get up dates.

Bighorn

Reaction score
End of Life [EOL] for Win10 has been announced as Oct. 14, 2025. That may not affect installed programs but security will be a big risk.

There are 2 versions of OneNote, one comes with Windows and the other with Microsoft Office, again the EOL will not automatically kill things off but there will be risks.

The biggest issue looking into the future is whether a current Win10 computer can meet the requirements for a Win11 Upgrade, most older than 2019 probably won't, mostly due to the TPM/Trusted Platform Module and the CPU version. Check Windows Update for yours, will be a message about whether it can be or not. When Win11 came out in Oct. '21 none of my computers would properly support it so I got new machines, needed to know Win11 against the time my clients would need to upgrade.

OneNote on my Win11 Notebook [Upgraded from Win10] identifies as OneNote for Windows 10. I don't have Microsoft Office on it.

1689432127929.png

Vote:

Mickey52

Reaction score
I have two PC'S both TPM/Trusted Platform one 8 ram the other 12 ram. I know if I keep one it's going to have to be increased too 12 ram using Win12.
the concern is OneNote if I should uninstall Win10 version and if my 2016 version will work on Win12 when it comes along. Just trying to be ahead of the game and prepared.

Vote:

Bighorn

Reaction score
Will either version you have now work with the same files you have saved? If so there should be no issue with what happens in the future.

Of concern would be if Office 2016 will install on a clean install of Win12 rather than still being there with an Upgrade to Win12. So far the unsupported versions of Office seem to work fine on Win10, have Office 2000 on a Win10 Notebook and had Office 2007 on a new Win11 Desktop then upgraded that to Office 2013, no issues yet.

The main difference between Win10 and Win11 is that Win11 is not available for installing on 32-bit CPUs but will still run most 32-bit programs. I haven't found much yet that run on Win10 but can't on Win11.

Vote:

Ask a Question