Security problem

dona

Reaction score
Hello. Suddenly (Windows like) I have a problem with Windows Defender security. First of all, the behaviour changes all the time. For instance a few hours ago when I last checked Security processor details everything looked fine, now it says that there is no TPM available, check BIOS. tpm.msc command says that the TPM 2.0 is ready. Earlier I got messages telling me that Windows firewall has problems, but now it seems OK. Right now it says "Getting protection info..." forever in Virus & threat protection. In Virus & threat protection I can not enable Controlled folder access under Ransomware protection if real time protection is not enabled, but I can not enable it because it says that am using another antivirus provider. Which I am not. By the way, I just did a fresh install of Windows 11 with keeping files and programs. Do I have to make a clean install with partition formatting to fix this or is there another way ? I already did sfc, dism and stop and restart the security service. Thank everybody, any idea could help.

RogerOver

Reaction score
Hi dona,

I don't know for sure, but my experience is that it may take time for TPM 2.0 to be accepted by Microsoft.
So if it is ready (as you say), wait for (up to ) 24 hours ! ... Let's take a tea :)
Let it get it's "protection infos".

... Afterwards you can still do a clean install !

Good luck !

Vote:

dona

Reaction score
Hi dona,

I don't know for sure, but my experience is that it may take time for TPM 2.0 to be accepted by Microsoft.
So if it is ready (as you say), wait for (up to ) 24 hours ! ... Let's take a tea :)
Let it get it's "protection infos".

... Afterwards you can still do a clean install !

Good luck !
Thank you RogerOver. I am starting to have headaches for being "patient" What do you think about virus & threat protection telling that I use another antivirus provider and does not let me enable the real time protection because of this, even if I do not use other antiviruses ?

Vote:

RogerOver

Reaction score
Hi Dona,

did you have another antivirus program installed before and uninstalled it ? There could be leftovers in the registry ! There are reports on the internet that Microsoft doesn't like the leftovers. If you remember the name of the program you might have installed before, use a registry search program like RegCool for instance and search for the name of the old program.

Don't use the normal entry for the search (blue encercled in my screenshot), but click on the blue loupe (red encercled) and then enter the name of the old program there (see screenshot).
You will get a list of the leftovers in the RegCool window at the bottom left. Rightclick on one of the entries, chose "select all" and then click on delete (not on remove the entry).

At your own risk. If you work with the registry, there is always a risk. So do a backup before !

Good luck

Capture.PNG

Vote:

dona

Reaction score
Hi Dona,

did you have another antivirus program installed before and uninstalled it ? There could be leftovers in the registry ! There are reports on the internet that Microsoft doesn't like the leftovers. If you remember the name of the program you might have installed before, use a registry search program like RegCool for instance and search for the name of the old program.

Don't use the normal entry for the search (blue encercled in my screenshot), but click on the blue loupe (red encercled) and then enter the name of the old program there (see screenshot).
You will get a list of the leftovers in the RegCool window at the bottom left. Rightclick on one of the entries, chose "select all" and then click on delete (not on remove the entry).

At your own risk. If you work with the registry, there is always a risk. So do a backup before !

Good luck

View attachment 982
Thank you for the suggestion, I'll give it a try. Indeed I had Comodo but that was some time ago.

Vote:

dona

Reaction score
I have found this key

Hi Dona,

Good luck

View attachment 982
Hi Dona,

Good luck

View attachment 982
I have found this key wich is about Comodo, but it does not let me delete it (access denied)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\Provider\Av\{05BC7AB5-FF0E-71EC-1054-15DA19B62DC7}

Vote:

dona

Reaction score
Well, I have tried to get rid of the leftovers but my sweet Windows 11 does not want to know anything about it, it keeps detecting an antivirus provider and does not want to let me enable real time protection. Please forgive my "innocence" but even if I had 20 antiviruses installed but I still want to use the one Windows provides, what's the trouble ? Windows should be able to deal with all 20 pieces of software and a user should be able to tell Windows to use the one he/she wants and Win should be able to inactivate all the other 19 and use the one user wants now. And tomorrow, when user tells Win to use another AV, it should just do the switch, and so on ! Or how about the so called Smart App Control, which once turned Off it stays so and to turn it on you must clean reinstall Win 11 again ! Or to install only desired Office programs you must do some magic. Why does Ms do anything to make user's life hell ? Thanks for "listening"

Vote:

RogerOver

Reaction score
Then there is still a "radical" solution for the leftovers: https://www.d7xtech.com/free-software/runx/
Download and open it, find your registry scanner software, open the registry scanner "as trusted installer" (see first picture in the link).
Then you can remove any registry entry !

But be really careful with this tool ! ... And at your own risk !

Vote:

RogerOver

Reaction score
You could also reinitialise Windows Security in "Settings\Applications\Installed Applications\Windows Security" (click on the three dots on the right side, the advanced options); see in yellow at the bottom of the screenshot.
But I think this does not help, as long as there are leftovers in the registry. Could it be that you also "tried" other antivirus software ?

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Vote:

RogerOver

Reaction score
To the mods !

How is it possible that Dona's contribution is from 12:27 am TODAY, and my contributions are from 9:00 am TODAY, respectively from 10:37 TODAY.

Please replace "TODAY" by the EXACT date in your forum software (i.e. Mar 28, 2023 or Mar 27, 2023).
There are a lot of viruses which change the date !

I thought, I had a virus, but I didn't !

Last edited:

Vote:

dona

Reaction score
Thank you all for trying to help.
It seems that the only way is to make a clean installation of Windows 11
But until this, I just re-installed the free CIS (Comodo Internet Security) ; this will stop Windows from always telling me to turn ON the real time protection. And the Windows security icon on the Taskbar is always green, telling me that "no actions needed"
Have a god day everybody.

Vote:

Ask a Question