Should I take the leap to Windows 11?

Geeky Grandma

Reaction score
I just purchased this new computer in the spring of 2021 so that I would have Windows 10 [w10] and now w11 is looming at me. I had such problems when I updated my w8.1 laptop to w10 at the third update that it had to be sent back to the factory for a new hard drive. I am concerned that this may happen again after reading some of the thread titles.
I read the information on the differences between w10 vs w11 and I'm not sure it is worth the risk. The article stated that w10 will be supported until 2025 and by then who knows what will be available?
What do you say?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
My recommendation is....
Stay within your comfort zone. Don't borrow trouble, worry and anxiety.
IF there was a single, "got to have it" WOW feature in Windows 11, I'd be the first to encourage you to go get it but I've yet to see any eye popping evidence of such a feature. As you say..... Win10 is good to go until October 2025, so if it does what you want, when you want, then I can't provide a compelling reason to change.
BUT....
If you decide to ignore my suggestion (as your screen name might suggest), be sure to employ a good Disk imaging software to create a known good, full system image of your current installation, so as to have a strong fall back position to recover to, in case you later decide, that I was right after-all.

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
I am quite deep into running and exploring Windows 11. No, it should not give problems either installing or running. Remember the internet forums represent a minimum of world users,
But I concur with Trouble's views. There is nothing in Windows 11, that will knock your eyeballs out, or even give you a twitch of interest.. Frankly, it does no more than you would expect from one of the Windows 1 major updates.

Vote:

Bastet

Reaction score
Ensure you have a system image backup - preferably using third party disk imaging software - in case you either have problems or dislike Win 11.
Imo there’s nothing exciting about it although in my case it has fixed some minor problems with my account photo not appearing under various MS apps.

Vote:

jab8356

Reaction score
I whole heartedly agree with the others who said to image your current installation before taking the leap. I did that and then took the leap. Didn't like it so went back to 10 in about 10 or 15 minutes. I'll try 11 again if and when Microsoft listens to all of the people who want the 10 start menu back or at least the ability to customize the new one in 11.

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
Could you detail what it is you wish to "customise". Maybe forum users can help. I find it pretty much the same as Windows 10, except that I cannot shrink or remove that darned square,

Vote:

Mickey52

Reaction score
late last night Win11 up date came , debated I was given option to up grade or not I did. Went a lot smoother then up date to WIn10. I was surprised all my custom settings carried over. Up date the pending Win11 up dates one had to be done twice but all were. Start screen less of a issue then others have said , looks kinda like old Win3.1 used to look like.
Today going to pop the hood and have a look see on what's new going to start my notes on one note " the quirks of Win11 " what came along and what I did to fix. I did that on Win10 created my own owners Manuel came in handy then and will now.
Enjoy nothing so far to be concerned about.

Vote:

Kevin baker272

Reaction score
No issues upgrading, all went well. I like the way you can snap open apps so easily and quickly, no dragging or resizing. Overall I'm glad I've upgraded now rather than waiting until I have to upgrade as I can learn as it evolves.

Vote:

Mickey52

Reaction score
I just purchased this new computer in the spring of 2021 so that I would have Windows 10 [w10] and now w11 is looming at me. I had such problems when I updated my w8.1 laptop to w10 at the third update that it had to be sent back to the factory for a new hard drive. I am concerned that this may happen again after reading some of the thread titles.
I read the information on the differences between w10 vs w11 and I'm not sure it is worth the risk. The article stated that w10 will be supported until 2025 and by then who knows what will be available?
What do you say?
Surprised on win11 up date the easiest I have went threw. Everything carried over including special settings. Figured out what to do easy only issue is Facebook messenger but after thinking about it , it may need its own update that should be coming soon. Besides that good job on this up date.
Things running faster and running smooth.

Vote:

joss

Reaction score
Win 11 up came along so decided to go for it.( Iso made before hand just in case) Turns out the upgrade to win 11 Pro when without a hitch. I am now spending time getting used to where things are and customisation. So far I am happy with the upgrade. My other machines will stay as is until I am totally satisfied with the up grade.

Vote:

Ask a Question