Taskbar toolbars - how to get them back? Windows 11 Taskbar sucks!

tannenba

Reaction score
Loaded ExplorerPatch, quite happy with the results. Haven't figured out all changes the start menu yet, but have my quick launch back and my context menus. I would like to get rid of the "Recommended" on the start menu.

Pocah

Reaction score
Believe it or not this is the only reason I have not as yet downgraded any of my PC's to Windows 11. I extensively use the toolbars on the taskbar and also use taskbars on dual monitors and I just don't like the loss of functionality with Windows 11. I don't understand why Microsoft constantly fiddles with stuff that isn't broken. I can understand them wanting to change the look but I don't see the point in taking away features.

CAU

Reaction score
MS is not the only ones that do that, but I like the others find it highly annoying when things get changed that are NOT BROKEN. Let things be that work for everyone.

Pocah

Reaction score
Yes. To me, Windows 11 changes the way I work so I need to put aside time to "learn". I also need to put aside time to get rid of all the bloatware and sort out privacy issues. All in all, it just puts me off installing 11. I haven't got the time.

tannenba

Reaction score
ExplorerPatch helps put back a lot, though not all. I also miss being able to categorize the start menu. If I have a choice my other machines will stay Windows 10.

idoru

Reaction score
This has to be taken in quotes (as I didn't tried it already (I've only installed this %*$£@#! OS 2 days ago)) but maybe Direct Folders from codesector might be the answer.

I've used it since... W98 ;.) it allows with a right click or pre set key to access any pre defined folders/program within load/save explorer dialogs or from windows desktop.

To make them some publicity I also use since long ago the excellent teracopy. Combine with the older pointix Pop-Mouse or the old Mouse Extender, I can access with mouse gestures or mouse/Key combination any pre set folders/programs bypassing every pile of horse s h i t made my microsoft.
And trust me, with this W11, they've done well, considering that this is their 10th iteration 30 years after starting the line with NT4.

Codemeister

Reaction score
First, you could drag a folder to the taskbar and it would turn into a single-click menu tree.
Then, you could at least add a toolbar menu via a right-click and navigating to the folder (no more drag-drop).
Now, it is all gone @*&%#&^%$&^%.
Would it really hurt to add it back in to Win11?

I bit my lip and prayed the update to Win11 would be okay and not interrupt my work - which it has;
I am too afraid to risk a downgrade back to Win10 so I am left being pissed-off.

tannenba

Reaction score
It all boils down to Microsoft doesn't care about their users. They are eliminating Desktop users in favor of phones and tablets.

Brutus

Reaction score
Want your tollbars back? Go back to windows 10. Typical Microsoft! Windows 98 good. Windows ME sucked. Windows 7 good, windows 8 sucked. Windows 10 good, windows 11 so far sucks. I will stay on windows 10 until whatever better windows comes after windows 11....which sucks

gt57

Reaction score
Is there an app or anything that will return taskbar toolbars?

The new Toolbar is really bad.
I navigate to all my files using toolbars or right clicking an item in the Start menu search.

If anyone knows how to get these toolbars back, or something similar, please let me know.

I switched to 7Stacks, http://alastria.com/software/7stacks/, to create flyout menus from a single icon on the taskbar.

With the Windows 10 custom toolbar, I had one custom toolbar top level folder that had 30 subfolders with 120 files (mostly shortcuts to documents). I was able to point 7stacks to this same folder and it works exactly the same way.

I explain this more here:

u1pns

Reaction score
This could a good option for someone.
A free tool to create a Menu like Mac in Windows.

Equeslibertatis

Reaction score
Maybe try SystemTrayMenu

SystemTrayMenu, an open-source sidebar for Windows has released version 1.2.9.0

SystemTrayMenu

Browse and open your files easily

SystemTrayMenu is an open-source 'Desktop Toolbar' or 'Start Menu' alternative. It offers a clear, personalized menu which can be opened via keyboard or mouse. Files, links and folders are organized in several levels as drop-down menus.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/rgj2du

tannenba

Reaction score
Maybe try SystemTrayMenu

SystemTrayMenu, an open-source sidebar for Windows has released version 1.2.9.0

SystemTrayMenu

Browse and open your files easily

SystemTrayMenu is an open-source 'Desktop Toolbar' or 'Start Menu' alternative. It offers a clear, personalized menu which can be opened via keyboard or mouse. Files, links and folders are organized in several levels as drop-down menus.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/rgj2du
I tried this as a windows app, couldn't move to taskbar or my quick launch (I'm using ExplorerPatch which works well, so I unloaded it. . I was looking for a way to organize my start menu. Loaded the portable version and pointed at my 'start menu' directory and it is working fine.

goetzylla

Reaction score
I use the following -

I have a fully functional Start Menu, Old style Taskbar, Quick Launch, Old style context menus and the Explorer ribbon back. Makes Windows 11 functional again :)

Guybrush
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!! And to Microsoft: Why in the world would you abandon taskbars to browse folders???? Why not promote it even more or just make the Explorer work that way to begin with???

t8769

Reaction score
Yes ExplorerPatcher is great, but is there any way to remove the ExplorerPatcher Gear icon from the Taskbar?

denjmay22

Reaction score
Following these instructions will allow you to put any app or folder on your taskbar even things like Command Prompt, Task Manager, Computer Management, Control Panel. I also created a folder in My Files with apps that I use a lot and put it in my taskbar so that I don't have to go through Start and search for the app I want to use:

alan sh

Reaction score
Yes ExplorerPatcher is great, but is there any way to remove the ExplorerPatcher Gear icon from the Taskbar?
I don't have that on mine, so there must be some way of doing it. See next post

Ask a Question