Ugh. MS strikes again. Refuses to load startup item upon startup, no matter what.

HenryTheTwelfth

Reaction score
I had it happen once with an update on Win10, where it just deleted one of the shortcuts from the startup folder. Okay. Make a new shortcut, place it back in the folder, issue solved. Irritating, but manageable.

Well, not this time. Updated to 22000.176 and it happened again with a different app. Only this time, no matter what I do, it just plain refuses to load the app at startup. The shortcut I replaced remains there now (after the update), and it shows active in startup items, but it just won't load at startup. Manually starting it works, and the app works just the same as it always does, but it just refuses to load at startup. Gee, thanks MS, for looking out for me and telling ME what I want to load on MY computer. Thanks a bunch, nosey you-think-you-know-better-than-I-what-I-want-on-MY-computer do-gooders. Ugh.

Edit: Apparently it has something to do with warning about it not being from a trusted publisher. So? I installed it. If I install it, that means I want it, right? The only setting is to disable the warning on ALL apps. I want it just disabled on this one particular app. Why all of a sudden are you complaining about this one particular app? It wasn't just updated. It's the same version it's been for over a year, now. So why start complaining now? Stop protecting me from... nothing. YOU (MS) are the malware, NOT this app. Grrrrrrrrr.

Update: Well, okay then. I accidentally "used" the app while it wasn't running. Meaning I "tried" to do what the app is used for... and it worked. So apparently the functionality of the app has been added to Windows 11. Probably had been from the start, and I just didn't notice. So MS apparently saw that the app was duplicating a new feature and said, "Nah, he doesn't need two things doing the same thing. We'll just block that other one so he has to use ours." Which still begs the question of why they allow it to run manually, then? If it duplicates an included OS feature, why allow it to run at all? And I still would appreciate being actually NOTIFIED that you are automatically CHANGING how my apps work? Yes? No? Still know better than I do, huh? (Well, somewhat correct in THIS case, but still...)

Anyway, I suppose I'll forgive MS. This time. LOL

Last edited:

Ask a Question