Weird random scrolling

Phoenix

Reaction score
For some unknown reason
in the last few days
whenever I am looking at the directory (of any drive)
the contents scroll by themselves

Anyone have an idea why this is happening
or how to fix it?
Thanks in advance

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Consider this.
There is a small App in the Microsoft Store called Screen Recorder For Windows 11.
Only if you are willing....
Grab that and run it and while it's recording, open and close File Explorer a couple times.

This is for me, not for you. I want to make sure that I understand what we're talking about and I'm not out in left field.

I did a quick short for you, placed it in my OneDrive folder and shared it and it's at the link below

Even a short capture video is to large to attach here on the forum.
That's why I put it up on OneDrive and shared with a link.

Vote:

Phoenix

Reaction score
Well...
After running Spybot S&D and Malwarebytes Malware utility,
No instances of bad stuff was found.
Zeroed in on the root cause of the random scrolling.

Me.

It only began occurring after I messed with the registry
in an attempt to make W11 FileExplorer right click context menu like W10's

So, I need to know what "should" be in the related registry files.....

Hoping I an repair.

Odd thing is, doing a complete reinstall did not fix the problem.
So, reinstalling did not install a brand new registry... Which I thought it should have.
Hmmmm

Vote:

Phoenix

Reaction score
Okay.
Reinstalled Windows 11 now....
Same issue happening.
So
I opened the laptop's registry, and looked at all the items that were messed with.
Every single item is the same except
HKEY/LocalMachine/Software/Classes/CLSID/86ca1aa0-etc
The subkey on the laptop's registry is
InProcServer
Laptop is working flawlessly
On desktop it's title is
InprocServer

Wonder why a 100% fresh install did not correct that.
Also, I am unable to delete or rename that key.

I am the only user on this desktop. I should be able to do that.
Going in circles banging my head on walls for weeks.

Vote:

Phoenix

Reaction score
Tried editing the registry key to fix the situation.
Cannot edit, rename or delete it.
Found several solutions concerning Permissions.
One stated disabling all protections.
I disconnected from the internet and did so, nothing worked.
Restarted pc in safe mode with no internet and no protections.
Still unable to edit Permissions for this registry key.

There must be a solution.......

Vote:

larrydonline

Reaction score
I have a different scrolling problem. Maybe I should have started another thread but it may be somehow related. In Windows 10 when I had a folder window open I could position my mouse over the window and scroll the contents by turning the wheel on top of the remote mouse.

With Windows 11 when I do the same thing, instead of scrolling in that window it enlarges or shrinks the text size depending on which direction I turn the wheel in. If there's a setting that controls how this is acting I would sure like to turn it off so I could scroll again with the mouse wheel.

Vote:

salsshun

Reaction score
he
Tried editing the registry key to fix the situation.
Cannot edit, rename or delete it.
Found several solutions concerning Permissions.
One stated disabling all protections.
I disconnected from the internet and did so, nothing worked.
Restarted pc in safe mode with no internet and no protections.
Still unable to edit Permissions for this registry key.

There must be a solution.......
hi! i have a same problem with you. have you got a solution? :(

Vote:

Phoenix

Reaction score
Yup. Backed up everything, got all install disks for programs ready, then did it, yesterday.
In the last hour, finally completed last re-install of last program.
Frustrating.
Wish I knew what caused the scrolling.

Vote:

larrydonline

Reaction score
I fixed my continuous refresh of an open folder. I think I've seen that scrolling thing before. I did have a case where rolling the wheel on my mouse would cause the size of the objects in the window to increase or decrease. I don't remember why that stopped happening.

The fix for the frequent refresh of the open window was to go to Personalize (right click on desktop shows that option) and the top item in that window is "Background". I had it set to slideshow and it seems that whenever the timing told it to get a new picture it reset all open folders. Changing that setting to just a photo completely fixed that annoyance.

I would suggest if anyone is having problems of this sort still to carefully look at all your settings that can affect how folders work. To the right of VIEW is three dots. Clicking there and choosing "Options" opens Folder Options. The middle choice View presents a menu of many options for how folders work..

Also, about comments on a registry hack to eliminate the right click view on 11 and make it work like it does on Win 10. I was able to make that change and I wouldn't touch my registry. I simply ran a hack someone shared, most likely in this forum because this is the only place I spend any time on computer talk. It also may have been on a link from a CNET NOW or ZDNet's frequent newsletters. Sometimes their articles lead to solutions. I've not been able to find it on my computer. Guess I never thought I'd need it again. I've reinstalled 11 since then and it didn't change it back. If I needed it again I would try my luck on Google.

Vote:

DunceCap

Reaction score
Never mind, so I had to plug my mouse usb into a different port and it stopped it, most be something wrong w/ that port
This solved my problem, too. Just last week started having the same issue and couldn't resolve it. After reading your post I changed my wireless mouse/keyboard port and - BAM - it worked! Thanks for posting

Vote:

crh

Reaction score
I am having the exact same issue as OP but with Windows 10 Pro; it started today. I turned off the wireless mouse and plugged a wired mouse into a different USB port; nothing. I turned off the "Scroll inactive windows when I hover over them" option under Mouse settings and nothing. Restarted several times, logged off and back on several times... :( Anyone figured this out yet?
*Edit* without having to do a factory reset.

Vote:

crh

Reaction score
I am having the exact same issue as OP but with Windows 10 Pro; it started today. I turned off the wireless mouse and plugged a wired mouse into a different USB port; nothing. I turned off the "Scroll inactive windows when I hover over them" option under Mouse settings and nothing. Restarted several times, logged off and back on several times... :( Anyone figured this out yet?
*Edit* without having to do a factory reset.
Well, I feel dumb. I turned off my keyboard too and plugged a wired one and the scrolling stopped; so it was hardware after all in my case.
FIX = I replaced the batteries of both mouse and keyboard (both are on the same dongle) I also plugged the dongle back in a different port; everything is back to normal! Not sure if it was the batteries or the USB port... but I'm happy it's working.
That only took two hours...

Vote:

Skizzcat

Reaction score
For some unknown reason
in the last few days
whenever I am looking at the directory (of any drive)
the contents scroll by themselves

Anyone have an idea why this is happening
or how to fix it?
Thanks in advance
Hello, I'm a new member on here. I don't know much about how computers work, I hope I follow instructions properly to fix any problems I have. I used to build and race historic racing cars ( you will see how this relates to my computer problem soon.) My problem is that when using file explorer, the columns scrolled up, as though they wanted to have the lowest part visible. I googled it and tried various fixes without success. I decided I should do what I did first, when searching for the reason why some ancient part, or ancient racing car, was misbehaving. There is a question you should ask yourself: WHAT IS DIFFERENT, WHAT HAS CHANGED? In 95% of cases, that will explain why something went wrong. Yes, old cars wear out, and things stop working for no apparent reason, but there will be a reason, even if you can't find it. Even the smallest change can affect things. So I thought, what's different? Then I realized that I had changed my mouse. It had become slow, and erratic when moving the cursor around. So this morning I changed it. To one that had a wire, which I do not prefer. See, It had been replaced by a wireless one, I felt sorry for it and put it in a drawer. I hope this solves your scrolling problems. Another thing while I'm on here, is there any way you can change the font size in Windows 11 ? I mean like you used to be able to do, without messing up all the other sizes and windows, and framing, the other, non character word (not the microsoft Word program) things ? I have tried a method but that messed up the proportions of the whole screen, useless in practice. Thank you very much.

Vote:

Minecraft fan

Reaction score
My laptop keeps scrolling down on youtube and
all of my web browser can somebody help and file explorer and
setings all of the other apps that i have to scroll but please help

Vote:

Minecraft fan

Reaction score
My laptop keeps scrolling down on youtube and
all of my web browser can somebody help and file explorer and
setings all of the other apps that i have to scroll but please help

Vote:

why_am_1_here

Reaction score
not sure if this helps anyone but it did for me. went to device manager and clicked on mice and other devices. there apparently were 2 mice for some dumb reason. i uninstalled the 2nd "mouse" and the auto scrolling completely stopped. nothing else worked for me but this method. so might be worth trying.

Vote:

Ask a Question