White sheet overlay on desktop icons

Tom R

Reaction score
Several weeks ago, after a couple of updates and new apps were installed, my desktop icon have a white overlay as shown in the attached screenshot.
I have tried many online solutions but nothing has worked. I uninstalled the apps and some of the updates one at a time and checked after rebooting.
Didn't make a difference. it is only an annoyance as I have not encountered problems related to this condition.

Does anyone else have this problem? Or a solution?

Tom R.

Attachments

• Screenshot 1.png
    Screenshot 1.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 0

Bighorn

Reaction score
When I've seen an icon covered, usually by another icon, I just right-clicked a blank area of the desktop and chose View then either Align to grid or Auto arrange icons. Sometimes just Refresh has worked.

1685674631888.png

Vote:

Tom R

Reaction score
Thanks Bighorn.
Keys, that fix was one of many I have tried. I have tried just changing the icon picture for the shortcut but it doesn’t change.

Tom R

Vote:

Bighorn

Reaction score
Right-click and Properties, should show the .exe/executable file or .bat/batch file the shortcut is associated with. Sometimes a shortcut icon will change if that referenced file is not found. Also on the Properties panel is Change icon, some programs have more than one icon available but if not it may default to some choices in the System32, shell32.dll file.

1685708889659.png
Might also try some of the tips about rebuilding the icon cache on these pages:

Last edited:

Vote:

Tom R

Reaction score
Thanks again, Bighorn.
I have rebuilt the cache several times to no avail and when I change the icon, the white sheet just overlays the new image.

Tom

Vote:

RogerOver

Reaction score
Last edited:

Vote:

Bighorn

Reaction score
One more thing to check, do you see the same issue in your Desktop item under Home in the left/Navigation panel in File Explorer?

1685721963202.png

Vote:

Ask a Question