Why will MS require a person to log into his computer with a MS account rather than a local account?

Charliedog

Reaction score
Two questions really: What does a person gain using the MS account in return for giving up some privacy?

And, after installing W11, could a person switch back to using a local account to log into his computer?

Last edited by a moderator:

cosmic52

Reaction score
It now looks like I'll get reminded to sign into my account everyday to use microsoft apps, seems ridiculous to me when just use to log on away I go. Are they meaning that if I don't sign in that account I can't use windows?..

Vote:

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
My own personal workaround, is to always install Windows with a Local account, and NEVER with a MS Account. (which I've never had, by the way)
I've heard that there are some things I can't do, unless I have an MS Account, but those things are not that important to me anyway.
So I'm a happy camper, keeping MS at arm's length.

Vote:

Bighorn

Reaction score
The only thing I've found with a Local account is accessing the Store most times requires a Microsoft account but that may not be important except in not getting some free software and things like Themes. Some updates maybe be available in the Library on the Store.

Vote:

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
If y'all know anything at all about Bill Gates, you would probably understand why MS does many of the things it does. It's all about "Control". Mr. 'One World Order' himself, wants to control everything.
That includes your computer, your medicine, your food and your freedom.
His wife has already pulled the plug on him, and I'm with her, every step of the way.

I would go back to my Commodore 64, before I'll have a MS Account.

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
Bill Gates has been neither chairman nor CEO of Microsoft since 2014. He owns only 2% of the shares now and I would imagine has a lessening intersest in Windows..etc, as he is full time occupied with his charity organisation.
As stated in another thread, I have had an MS account for as long as I can remember. Not much on my computer to "spy" on or control, and certainly none that I have noticed.
The question posed bty the op:
If MS should wish to spy on you, then the type of account has little to do with it. You are using a Microsoft product with countless opportunities for that organisations to have a look at what you are doing.

You would faitr no better with Apple or Linux, if you feel so strongly about privacy.

Vote:

Bighorn

Reaction score
An update to my reply at #23, finally had to exchange out my main Win10 Pro that was the only one with a Microsoft Account, case and motherboard started having issues not caused by any OS [but it was over 6 years old] so put another in its place, also with only a Local Account.

Vote:

Ask a Question