Why will MS require a person to log into his computer with a MS account rather than a local account?

Charliedog

Reaction score
Two questions really: What does a person gain using the MS account in return for giving up some privacy?

And, after installing W11, could a person switch back to using a local account to log into his computer?

Last edited by a moderator:

Grizzly

Reaction score
First question: IMHO nothing.
Second question: I would say, one will be able to do that but I cannot say for sure as my pc's are not compatible with Windows 11

Vote:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think there will be some more benefits to using an MS account in Windows 11, as they're tying in things like Teams more closely. I suspect they're will be better sync across multiple devices too.

FWIW, I still use a local account. I've got personal and work Microsoft accounts, so it's the easiest way to not get them to cross over too much.

Vote:

Michale32086

Reaction score
If you run the install without being connected to the 'Net, it will allow you to create a local account... After words, you can switch to an MS login if you so choose...

Vote:

Charliedog

Reaction score
Actually what I've read so far would indicate being connected to the 'Net and logging into a M$ account are required to upgrade to W11, the opposite of W10, with no indication a person could go back to a local account after W11 is installed.

Vote:

Michale32086

Reaction score
I rarely use my MS account (only login when needed to get something from the store) so I am pretty sure I was on my local account when I installed Windows 11 on my home machine...

On the few systems I installed at work, I am positive they were local login only when installed..

Vote:

BMcQ

Reaction score
It's reassuring to learn that many people just log in with a local account. Like Ian I have personal and business microsoft accounts.

Unfortunately I thought I needed to switch to an MS account to log in, at which point I found I could only switch to one of those two accounts - the other which I preferred to use claimed to be already in use by another user on my device (there are no other users)

Wanting to find out why this was happening, I've followed a few leads and discovered amoungst other things that I have duplicate SIDs for these two accounts in the Registry under HKEY_Users\.default\software\Microsoft\IdentityCRL\CredManLog. Which leads me to a couple of questions:

1) Is it likely that this duplication is causing the 'already in use' message? If so any ideas on how to correct it much appreciated.
2) Does MS have any sort of troubleshooter that might sort out this sort of problem with their MS Accounts?
...and perhaps a 3rd question
3) Should I just stop worrying about this and stick with the Local Account?

Help much appreciated!

Vote:

Bighorn

Reaction score
I rebuilt an HP Notebook and installed Win11 Home cleanly. The initial install required a Microsoft Account and set it as Administrator. After it was properly running wanting a different [shorter] name I used Control Panel, Users to create a new account as Local account with Administrative rights, no issues. I can logoff/change users or restart and pick which to use.

Vote:

RogerOver

Reaction score
The initial install required a Microsoft Account and set it as Administrator.
... I used Control Panel, Users to create a new account as Local account with Administrative rights, no issues

"Control panel" to create a new user account under Windows 11 ?
(Are we really talking about an installation with a Mircrosoft acount ?)

If I try to do that, I am immediately (and with no recourse) sent to "Settings / Accounts" and then the difficulties begin. In my opinion, you cannot create a new local user account anymore (with ordinary means; cmd prompt is possible) without registering your new user account also as a Microsoft acount !

It seems that we live in different countries ;)

Vote:

BMcQ

Reaction score
Many thanks for the responses. I think as I already have a Local Administrator account I'll leave it at that.

Incidentally I'm assuming that my duplicate MS account SID identifiers don't matter so will leave well alone!

Vote:

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
It's just a personal thing, but I like to keep my association with MS down to a bare minimum.
I'll install their OS, but I don't want any more associations with them than absolutely necessary.
Therefore, when I install Windows, any version, I side step all the efforts to get me to create a MS Account, and only create a Local Account. Without password, by the way.

JFWIW... If a person uses "Rufus" to burn the Windows 11 ISO onto a Flash Drive for installation, Rufus will remove all the Compatibility stipulations imposed by MS, and even allow one to Put in their own name, (or an alias) to be used during the Install. No MS account required. It makes for a very quick and easy installation.
Quick and easy is GOOD. I really like Quick and Easy! At 79 I don't like anything that is long and complicated, or I may not be around to complete it.
Cheers Mates!
Shadow :cool:

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
I do, and have always, used a Microsoft account. In fact, due to past closer associations, I have two such.
If users worry too much about confidentiality and privacy, forget it. MS hardly need the extra benefit of an account to see what is going on with your computer use.
This kind of thread does pop up from time to time. Always, to me anyway, a puzzle.

Vote:

Bighorn

Reaction score
I do, and have always, used a Microsoft account. In fact, due to past closer associations, I have two such.
If users worry too much about confidentiality and privacy, forget it. MS hardly need the extra benefit of an account to see what is going on with your computer use.
This kind of thread does pop up from time to time. Always, to me anyway, a puzzle.
An interesting coincidink? How does a Search of the Internet only on my Win10 Wired Desktop for a particular out-of-the- way area business start coming up on my Win11 Wireless/Wi-Fi Notebook within just hours? The Search was done with Duckduckgo on Firefox but the resultant Web site comes up in the Microsoft Start/Bing page in Edge on all Win10/Win11 computers that are not Mapped/Shared on my internal network. The Desktop is the only machine using a Microsoft Account, all others are only Local Accounts.

Last edited:

Vote:

cosmic52

Reaction score
I had this nonsense on my laptop, I just log in as always. It was asking me to sign into my account when I logged in yesterday. I think it's either trying to link your accounts if you have one or more computers and use edge. I've never linked my accounts in anything, so I'm not going to start now. On my laptop, xbox bar keeps running for some reason everyday and yet it's switched off in settings. It's just microsoft pushing it's wares as usual.

Vote:

Ask a Question