Will Windows 10 software, and drivers, etc work in Windows 11? What about hardware?

Joshuacm

Reaction score
I just bought a hp laptop 17-cn0045cl. It has Windows 10 64 bit installed, and is supposed to be compatible to upgrade to Windows 11. I have noticed that some people already are having issues with Windows 11 (isn't Windows 11 supposed to be released in October?). I have had Office 2007 moved to AppData on my other laptop (at least the shortcuts), with the option to open file location grayed out. The files open, but some settings were obviously changed, and it was hidden. I am wondering if I might have any trouble with other software such as old Adobe Software, or even if I install certain stripped-down versions of newer Office Software, or even free antivirus or firewalls (not to mention various freeware software that is currently only available for Windows 10 and prior versions of Windows). Then the new laptop has certain hardware (i.e. graphics card, the web cam, etc). Then there will be the hard drives, and processor, etc. With the previous laptop, the webcam software was deleted after I updated windows, and it seemed that the screen started flashing sporadically. I did manage to get the profile fixed for free by a friend without moving software to a new profile, but unfortunately, there was an issue with the touchpad only working occasionally recently with the other laptop. So that is why I purchased a new laptop. I just want to find out what I can about if trying to upgrade to Windows 11 is even going to be a good idea since I don't want to have hardware and software problems on a brand new laptop from upgrading Windows. If people are already having problems, they may happen more frequently as time progresses; especially with older software. Perhaps even Chrome and iTunes and Edge will start being made specifically for Windows 11, as Windows 10 becomes obsolete and support ends. I will even by an external DVD drive for certain software and for backups made on DVD in the past for that new laptop. My new laptop says that I can upgrade the OS to Windows 11, but please let me know if it is good idea.

The HP website has some specifications, but it has a different graphics card listed, so I am not sure that it is listing the correct specifications. I do not want hardware issues if I upgrade, nor software issues. I also am wondering if my previous software will function on it, or perhaps disappear like office 2007 did.Do you know?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
as Windows 10 becomes obsolete and support ends.
Microsoft has pledged to support Windows 10 until October 2025.
Can I continue to use Windows 10?
Yes. You do not have to upgrade to Windows 11. We will continue to support Windows 10 until October 14, 2025.
SOURCE: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11#pchealthcheck
So Windows 10 will continue to be a perfectly viable OS option for four more years

Regarding "accessories" (assuming attached peripheral devices) that will depend mostly on the actual device manufacturer (printers, scanners, etc.) and whether or not they will make the effort to provide the appropriate drivers (if needed) to support Windows 11.

Likewise third party software whether it be productivity suites or security suites, whether the existing software code will run on Windows 11, OR require a newer more updated version in order to be compatible.
I just want to find out what I can about if trying to upgrade to Windows 11 is even going to be a good idea since I don't want to have hardware and software problems on a brand new laptop from upgrading Windows.
As is always the case, that's going to be a personal decision, after you take an appropriate amount of time to assess the risk versus reward.
It's not even publicly available yet and I suspect that many of the problems you are hearing about are attributable to the fact that it is still a very early beta release
AND
Perhaps many of them will be addressed and resolved (positive / negative, good / bad) once the consortium of tech manufacturers (hardware and software) have had sufficient time to consider their own plan of action.

FINALLY... no matter how, when or even IF you plan, moving forward.
ALWAYS have a good ESCAPE plan / fall back position.
I strongly recommend a known good and complete (all partitions) image of the hard disk(s) that will be impacted by your decision.

Vote:

Ask a Question