Windows 11 losing customers? No wonder

Nidfnix

Reaction score
Windows 11 is awful. Keep up the "good" work Microsoft. Sooner or later some Linux distros will outperform you, if you do not change the way you treat customers.

-)Many unnecessary services running through your cloud systems
-)Why am I required to create a Microsoft account on my device? Useless
-)Performance of devices being eaten away by all the unnecessary tracking crap, telemetry and so much other bloat built into Windows
-)Can not customize my desktop environment like on any Linux distro
-)The startup menu looks and feels awful

Uninstalled Windows 11 a month ago and no way I will ever come back if possible. Windows 10 and 7 are superior. I am currently on Ubuntu. To anyone seeing this, hope you enjoyed my rant.

badbak82

Reaction score
Windows 11 is awful. Keep up the "good" work Microsoft. Sooner or later some Linux distros will outperform you, if you do not change the way you treat customers.

-)Performance of devices being eaten away by all the unnecessary tracking crap, telemetry and so much other bloat built into Windows

Uninstalled Windows 11 a month ago and no way I will ever come back if possible. Windows 10 and 7 are superior. I am currently on Ubuntu. To anyone seeing this, hope you enjoyed my rant.
Another alternative Google OS flex

geriatric

Reaction score
I was on Windows 95 through 8 (Tried and hated 10) went to Mac (It was OK), tried Linux (after 2 years of frustration) tried ChromeOS Flex (Not bad) But here I am back on Windows 11.

Greg

Reaction score
After installing Win 11 on machine with an empty drive and then trying to find some commonly used tools and commands, with very little luck; searching for help on web which gets you into a vicious cycle of suggestion which requires another clarification which in turn requires another clarification etc, and where 50% of suggestions does not match with what you have (like the reference to non-existing path name), I decided to blow away all the installation, and install Win 10 instead.

badbak82

Reaction score
an easy 3party file manager is "Explorer plus plus" i use it instead of the drama with windows file manager

davehc

Reaction score
an easy 3party file manager is "Explorer plus plus" i use it instead of the drama with windows file manager
Sorry, not being rude, just an interested widows explorer user. (or do you really mean File manager - a separate beast, downloaded from the store?) What Drama?

HilKay

Reaction score

HilKay

Reaction score
How did you reinstate Windows 10 ? I was happy with this and couldn’t do everything I wanted, particularly editing photos. How can I edit my photos on 11 ?

HilKay

Reaction score
How did you reinstate Windows 10 ? I was happy with this and couldn’t do everything I wanted, particularly editing photos. How can I edit my photos on 11 ?
I mistyped and meant ‘could’, sorry

Nidfnix

Reaction score
I mistyped and meant ‘could’, sorry
You can downgrade win11 to 10 but haven't tried it. I completely wiped windows and got Ubuntu on my 3 y.o. laptop. It was literally dying from all the bloat and background services windows has built in and now it runs fine.

HilKay

Reaction score

Thank you for your reply, but can’t uninstall 11 which was unfortunately already installed when I got the pc. Little did I know …….

pvee

Reaction score
For anyone that has not discovered this yet.
right click on the MicroSoft start symbol and you will see all the command programs.
Notepad is now called Terminal.

pvee

Reaction score
After installing Win 11 on machine with an empty drive and then trying to find some commonly used tools and commands, with very little luck; searching for help on web which gets you into a vicious cycle of suggestion which requires another clarification which in turn requires another clarification etc, and where 50% of suggestions does not match with what you have (like the reference to non-existing path name), I decided to blow away all the installation, and install Win 10 instead.
right click on the MS start symbol and you will see all those dos like commands.

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
Since Windows 3.11, I've not found a Windows version that is as easy to Tweak and Tune, and customize, as Win-11.
And, I find I can right click on the taskbar, just as soon as I get Win-11 installed, and first fix that Taskbar, and go into more Settings from there, and then branch off to anywhere I want to go.
Being a natural born "Tweaker" I find Win-11 a lot of fun. And in almost no time at all, I can have Win-11 looking as familiar as a typical setup of Windows 7.
Then, I remove the things (apps) from Win-11 that I don't want, and will never use.
I've found that Win-11 is so much like earlier OS's, under the bonnet, that all the registry tweaks I've used with Windows 8.1 and 10, work just fine.
I have just one .reg script that was specifically written for Windows 10 that has to be edited to work on Win-11, but that's just one very specific case. And the edit was so simple a child could do it.
Truly, as I sit here, banging away on this Mechanical (click, click, click) keyboard, connected to a 15 yr old Acer Mini PC, Windows 11 is calmly and efficiently running this whole Shebang, in the background.
Anyone just walking by my PC would surely think I was running Windows 7.
Because of my ability to fine tune this little PC, with Win-11 running on it, it looks and acts just like Win-7.
I have a really hard time sympathizing, with those who are unwilling to even try to figure out Win-11, and are satisfied to just go off and do something else.

Hwalker1

Reaction score

I have to agree in total. I bought a new computer to run windows 11. Big mistake. After initially running perfectly on windows 10 it updated itself to windows 11. Instead of installing at a text size that worked, it installed at the highest definition my screen could show. Sadly that made the text so small that it was unreadable until i zoom in 5 times. Then I have to zoom out again to navigate around the screen and then zoom in another 5 times to get to the subject. At this stage the menu system occupies abiut half the screen leavong a couple of lines for the content. Was this version of windows ever tested on a 15 inch laptop? Doubtful. Thats the problem with testing it on a set of windows geeks. When I write a program I give it to my wife to test. If she can work it then its fine. But most times she cannot. Why? being a programmer I know which keys to press and which not. So do the geeks who have been following the developement. None participats dont give damn about the technicalities, Just want a computer that worked like their old one. This Windows 11 does not and has few if any improvements on my old Win 10.
I just wish to be able to log on to my computer and it works. This one does not.

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
You certainly have my deepest sympathy.
But, that's just one person's experience, with one install.
So far, I've installed Windows 11/Pro/64 at least ten times, and every time I get more familiar with how to make 11 look exactly how I want it to look, and act accordingly.
It's as programmable as a ball of modeling clay. In the past I've had to fight with some version of Windows to get it to where I want it, but not so with Win-11.

I was very happily running Windows 8.1 on all of my 12 PC's, 64 bit or 32 bit, where required.
But once I had experimented with Windows 11, I was led to upgrade all my 64 bit PC's to Win-11.
(there is NO 32 bit version of Win-11)
That was one decision I will never regret. With a little practice, I've been able to get a Win-11 install down to less than an hour, with a modicum of software installed. And, to be able to surf the web, and receive and send email.

As an old (retired) computer tech, I wish I could sit down with anyone who is not having a good day with Windows 11, and show them just how programmable it really is. It's far more adjustable than any previous OS, going all the way back to the earliest days of Windows.

Ask a Question