Device name LegionMachine-Y520
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz 2.80 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.89 GB usable)
Device ID 145ED510-CAA1-4C2E-AE4D-AC70D1F9C8D4
Product ID 00325-96274-06067-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

Hi Everybody
i wanted to know can i install windows 11 on the above-mentioned hardware. MS says 7th Gen is not supported will there be any sort of issue with it

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
i wanted to know can i install windows 11 on the above-mentioned hardware.
It doesn't appear to be on the list of acceptable CPUs
will there be any sort of issue with it
I expect that at some point you are likely to experience "issues" provided you can even get it to install at all.
Microsoft has mentioned that ....
Installs on unsupported hardware will experience a higher percentage of system crashes and may not receive cumulative updates including critical security updates.

On the up-side....
Windows 10 is good to go until 2025 and by that time I expect there will likely be a plethora of Windows 11 machines both new and refurbished on the market at very reasonable prices.

Vote:

Rod

Reaction score

Hi Everybody
i wanted to know can i install windows 11 on the above-mentioned hardware. MS says 7th Gen is not supported will there be any sort of issue with it
I think not, you can download one of the many compatibility checkers available and check

Vote:

TechnoNerd

Reaction score
Just installed Win 11 Pro (build 22000.194) on my Dell E5470 with a sixth generation Intel Core I5-6440HQ.
16 GB Ram, TPM 2.0.

So far no issues, none! All my installed software including Bullguard AV and MS Office Suite is working normally.

I can always go back to Win 10 if I have to but I am good so far with 11.

Vote:
Reaction score
Just installed Win 11 Pro (build 22000.194) on my Dell E5470 with a sixth generation Intel Core I5-6440HQ.
16 GB Ram, TPM 2.0.

So far no issues, none! All my installed software including Bullguard AV and MS Office Suite is working normally.

How

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
Not too interested in the advancements" in Windows 11, but, for heck, I decided to have a go. Windows 10 pro to Windows 11 Pro.

I downloaded onto a USB.. - Not bootable.
From there I ran setup.
At the start, after the usual agreement which I had to acknowledge, a paragraphed warning came up. The usual - My Computer was not compatible. If I continued to install, the OS might be unstable and MS were not responsible for any damage etc.. I had to agree to this and the the start went through to the end.

1633422520427.png

I should add. TPM 1.2 only

Last edited:

Vote:

TechnoNerd

Reaction score
Here is how:
I joined the Windows Insider Program in the Windows 10 installation.
After rebooting, I checked for updates.
A couple of Win 10 updates were downloaded.
After reboot, checked for updates and this time Windows 11 was offered.
There was a message about my device not meeting the minimum requirements, etc. But it was just that : a message.
I clicked download and within a few minutes I was running Windows 11.
That was almost 6 days ago, everything is normal with the laptop

Device name E5470
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6440HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.60 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)
Device ID F50BA3EE-7552-481E-A3D5-97CBB8816D24
Product ID 00342-50365-08907-AAOEM

Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎9/‎30/‎2021
OS build 22000.194
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.194.0

I am not saying this will work for everyone but it did work for me.

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
Wouldn't the insider only offer you the BEta? Particularly at that time

The RTM is now available for download.

Last edited:

Vote:

TechnoNerd

Reaction score
An option was offered after installation to drop from the Insider program once the final was launched.
I was surprised that Microsoft made it this simple!

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
Follow up to my previous post:

Previously, the infrequent try out of the Betas. Now the full blown legal version. I think i have run it enough to firm up a decision on using it. The answer could be “why not” I installed, agreeing to keep my software and settings. So far, I can see no difference. On the other hand, I have moved on. But, I am thinking I will be reloading Win 10. I am totally familiar and comfortable with it.

To be fair to MS. This is an old and incompatible machine. Possibly because of that, I cannot detect any performance difference.
We have had a controversial thread elsewhere on the increased security. It does not interest me as much as it might business users. I take care of my own security - worked for me for about 38 years.
But who knows. Curiosity killed the cat. Maybe I will be tempted again.

Vote:

saddy

Reaction score
16 GB Ram, TPM 2.0.

Hi

i went ahead and installed it on my i7 7700 and so far it seems to run perfectly Even received few updates my guess is micrsoft has kept this higher CPU requirement only for security reasons other than that my laptop meets basic requirements TPM 2.0 and secure boot

thank you for encouraging me to install windows 11 when i read your post

Vote:

TechnoNerd

Reaction score
You are welcome!

I am sure that most forum members are aware of a significant number of Intel processor's "microcode" updates that have been available for some time now. These mainly affect 6th, 7th and 8th generation processors. Here is how Dell describes one:

"This package contains the Dell system BIOS update. BIOS is a firmware package that is embedded on a small memory chip on the system board. It controls the keyboard, monitor, disk drives, and other devices. This update addresses the Intel Security Advisories INTEL-SA-00459 and INTEL-SA-00464. A security advisory is a statement when a security vulnerability impacts a product, and a remedy is available for the vulnerability."

As I understand it, at least Intel and other main computer manufactures have been keeping up with security issues in older processors. This would not be the case with home built computers using motherboards from vendors that offer little support.

I would not be surprised if Microsoft eventually can identify these processors/motherboards as meeting their security requirements and offer the upgrade. Or not!;)

Vote:

svenf

Reaction score

Hi Everybody

Same here - my $600 Surface Pro 6 with an i5 processor from Costco is supported, my $2K MSI with a i7-7700HQ is not - what a sad joke.

Looks like the same geniuses who fell flat on their faces with Windows 8 have learned nothing and are still running the Windows show at MS (not to mention the embarrassing paddling back on Windows 10 being the last and perpetually improved version of Windows).

Vote:

simonedice

Reaction score
Hi

i went ahead and installed it on my i7 7700 and so far it seems to run perfectly Even received few updates my guess is micrsoft has kept this higher CPU requirement only for security reasons other than that my laptop meets basic requirements TPM 2.0 and secure boot

thank you for encouraging me to install windows 11 when i read your post
Did you install it with a bootable USB or did you joined the insider program?

Vote:

Ask a Question