Can I Delete Windows 10 Files after Installing Windows 11

Mehul

Reaction score
I just download windows 11 developer preview from the windows insider program and i saw that the old windows 10 files were still in my laptop with the file name Windows.old. So would it be safe to delete all those files as those are taking about 20gb of space.
1625071915627.png

jvickers

Reaction score
I would think you would want to keep them in case you have to roll back to Windows 10. That's just my initial thoughts, though.

Vote:

Mehul

Reaction score
So, would it be possible if I just backed up that data in a hard drive or something and delete it from my laptop ?

Vote:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think that folder is automatically deleted after something like 10 days, but yes it's safe to delete as long as you don't want to roll back and all of your files/data are still there.

Vote:

Edwrd10

Reaction score
Go to Settings- System- Storage, then turn Storage sense on. It will keep windows.old for a while then delete it. If you need space you can manually delete it. Or, you can use the Disk Cleanup app and it will show you all the things you can delete. Windows.old is there in case you want to revert back to Win 10. If you have no intention to go back you can delete it.

Vote:

Ask a Question