Windows 11 desktop keeps crashing

scrocle

Reaction score
Updated to Windows 11 yesterday. The desktop keeps crashing after a few minutes. The whole desktop is gone and only a grey background is visible. The taskbar is gone and the windows key and shortcuts don't work while in this state.
I rebooted into safe mode and got this error message
Screenshot (16).png

Last edited:

CymruUSA

Reaction score
Look for the Windows 11 media creation tool but be careful with the source. If you can get it, I would try to repair the install. You can do that by following the instruction below. Otherwise, I would reinstall. I actually had this error in Windows 10 and that fixed it for me. Good luck.

Repair Install, by installing Media Creation Tool, open tool and choose to Upgrade Now.

Grizzly

Reaction score
Look for the Windows 11 media creation tool but be careful with the source. If you can get it, I would try to repair the install. You can do that by following the instruction below. Otherwise, I would reinstall. I actually had this error in Windows 10 and that fixed it for me. Good luck.

Repair Install, by installing Media Creation Tool, open tool and choose to Upgrade Now.
there is no media creation tool for Windows 11 yet as it is released only in the DEV channel for Windows insiders.

CymruUSA

Reaction score
there is no media creation tool for Windows 11 yet as it is released only in the DEV channel for Windows insiders.
Gotcha. I'm sure there is a trusted site that has it, Petri? If not, I would tell the OP to reinstall. Cheers and thanks for letting me know.

Ask a Question